Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Re: Wemo Maker Garage Opener and Sensor

Never had this happen

WEMO Maker Inventor

Pretty easy to test, just unplug it.

In "momentary" mode the relay will be off except for a short time after you trigger the button.  Most are using it like this and it shouldn't trigger.  Did you read somewhere that it does?

In "normal" mode the switch returns to its previous state when power returns.  So if you're using it "on" to keep the garage (or more likely a gate), when the power is restored the relay will go from "off" (from when the power was out) back to "on" which might be seen as a command to open the door/gate.  In most uses though an idle maker is "off" so not a problem.  I imagine weird things might happen if the power goes out just as you trigger the door.

Yeah i read on another site someone said their door opened after power loss. I'm planning to setup momentary switch, so that shouldnt be a problem as you say. Going to try it today.

Well the WeMo Maker won't work for me consistently for my garage door opener. The default 300ms relay is too short to trigger opening/closing the door most of the time. Too bad this is not adjustable. I'll have to return it, since it wont work for me.

wp

I bought the WeMo maker but couldn't connect to my garage door opener. Some talked about connecting with wire to relay. My issue is my garage door opener (http://www.ata-aust.com.au/AtaAust/media/Manuals/GDO-2v7-Manual.pdf) does not have connection where these wires can connect to. Any help would be much appreciated.

[ Edited ]

Just set up my maker and garage door, took all of 10 minutes to connect up to my Garador.

I also run Homebridge on my Raspberry Pi, added the Wemo plugin and at first it kept crashing and I was really struggling. Then I noticed the WM wanted to do a firmware update so I let it update and then relaunced Hombridge and good to go. I now have Siri and Apple watch control of my garage door.

I'm just waiting on a sensor to arrive in the mail to complete the setup. Also I noticed on the WM instructions the sensor shows 2 negative and 1 positve wires, is that required? Pretty sure the senor shipping to me has two just 1 neagtive and 1 positive.

I now have my magnetic sensor but the wemo seems to report its triggered status the wrong way around.

When the garage door is shut and the two parts of the sensor are close to each other the app reports:

Sensor triggered

When the door is open and the two parts are moved away from each other the app reports:

Sensor not triggered

I would of thought this should be the other way around. I tried just swapping the wires around on the maker but I get the same issue?

Any ideas?

Highlighted
WEMO Maker Inventor

Reed switches are usually normally closed or normally open (NC vs NO).  It sounds like you might have a NO switch that closes when the magnet is near.  If your reed switch has 3 wires you can switch which pair you use, otherwise you can replace the reed switch with an NC version.  Or just live with it as it shouldn't matter.

Hi matg

If Mike is correct about the reed switch, you can convert it to a normally closed (NC) type by fixing a small magnet close to it all the time.

The fixed magnet must oppose the moving one, that is N to N and S to S. When the moving magnet is distant the fixed magnet will close the reed. When the moving magnet is close the two fields will cancel each other out and the reed will open. If you find that it stays closed then either the fixed magnet is not opposing the moving one, or it is too powerful.

Give it a try!

Regards

Pete

[ Edited ]

Hi,

The switch did not come with wires but does have number of screws, so thinking it can be wired as a 3 wire switch so NC rather than NO.