WEMO Hardware

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Wemo Mini Smart Plug Status Light Flashes Orange After Power Loss

I was able to set up my Wemo Mini Smart Plug and used it successfully with the app (ver 1.21).  However, when I remove the Smart Plug from its power source or momentarily cycle the power on a power strip that is powering the Smart Plug, it will not reconnect to the network.  The status light is initially steady white for a few seconds then transitions to flashing white then changes to flashing orange.  My phone app will then show that the devices I had previously set and and operated properly are "not detected."  The only fix I was able to come up with was to hold the power button until the status light started flashing white the release the power button until the status light alternately flashed white and orange then I opened the app and reinstalled the device again!  I don't want to be away from my house and have the power cycle or power loss for some reason then have all my Wemo Smart Plugs become inoperative until I return home and reinstall them.  Is there a fix or solution for this problem?

Re: Wemo Mini Smart Plug Status Light Flashes Orange After Power Loss

Having the exact same problem!!! WEMO, what's the solution?

I just bought mine and I'm ready to send it back!

Hello Guys,

@humpelmann and @1technophobe,

For starters, it is only normal for Wemo devices to flash orange after a power loss (for safety purposes). However, after a minute or so from a power outage, after devices boot up and is stable, they should be able to connect back to your network. 

@1technophobe, as you mentioned, you changed the location of your Smart Plug. How far is it from your router? Make sure that it's still on the range of your router's signal.

@humpelmann, were you able to setup your smart plug successfully? On your Wemo App, please make sure that the Remote Access Feature is enabled and that the firmware of your smart plug is up to date.

Make sure that both your Smart Plug and the Handheld device you are using to control it are connected on the same 2.4 GHz band of your router.

Keep us on the loop and provide feedback.

Mark-22022
Wemo Technical Support

Mark_C,

Been sitting here for an hour watching the blinking amber light. Have the latest Android app version. Have not been asked to do a firmware update. Is there a way to check if a firmware upgrade is available? Btw, went through all the troubleshooting recommendations. Have uninstalled/factory reset probably a dozen times. The initial set-up goes semi-smoothly. Funny thing is, my Netgear N300 router says the device has an IP address! But the light blinks amber and the app says "not connected".

Wemo.jpg

@humpelmann, got that. Have you tried to refresh the Wireless device list on your router? Make sure its not a cached list.

Can you provide us the Hardware version of the Smart Plug you have? Also, can you provide us the current firmware of your Wemo device? We'll check it on our end. 

To understand the LED behavior, refer to this link.

Mark-22022
Wemo Technical Support

I'm sure the router was reporting "live" not cached.

Hardware version: V2

App version: 1.21 (170)

Firmware version: WeMo_WW_2.00.11143.PVT-OWRT-SNSV2
S/N: 221743K0100B17

@humpelmann

The Mini might not be getting enough signal from the router. Try to relocate it closer to the router and observe if the same issue persists.

Jo-Ann - 21744
WEMO Technical Support

It is about 10 ft away from the AP. It works fine when I set it up. Unplug it for 15 seconds or so, plug it back in the same outlet, and then blinking Amber.

[ Edited ]

@humpelmann, Have you tried the workaround recommended by 

• OS version of the handheld device used:
  • Internet Service Provider:
Elyza – 22075
WEMO Technical Support

So I reset everything and set it back up. Unplugged it from an outlet maybe 15ft away and plugged it back in an outlet less than 10ft away from the the Wireless with nothing but air between them: blinking amber.

I will send the email as suggested.