WEMO Hardware

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Wemo® Mini Smart Plug vs Wemo Switch

What is the differenc eb etween the Wemo® Mini Smart Plug  and the Wemo Switch?

Is the Wemo® Mini Smart Plug  replacing the Wemo Switch. I have the Wemo switch in Canada and the Mini smart pug at a home in the USA.  I cannot get the smartplug in Canada.

Is the mini plug coming to Canada?

Re: Wemo® Mini Smart Plug vs Wemo Switch

The mini plug was made because the original switch ends up covering both outlets on a two outlet plate. Now you can still use the other if you want. You could even have two mini plugs if you need

Hi guys on the thread

We're expecting the Mini Smart Plug here in the UK sometime in March. Our double sockets over here are mounted horizontally as opposed to vertically in the USA.

Our WeMo switches have always taken up too much space to allow plugging anything into the adjacent socket. What's the betting that the new WeMo Mini Smart Plug for the UK will be horizontal just like the USA version so we still won't be able to plug anything into the adjacent socket?

We shall see. If Belkin gets it right for the UK, I will publish an apology on these pages!

Regards

Pete

[ Edited ]

My Wemo Switch doesn't block the second outlet if I plug it into the top outlet.

I do like the compact format of the new switch, though.

Just my opinion but I've often thought original was designed the way it was to ensure circuit load wasn't exceeded without circumventing the use of the single plug with a single electrical device.

Hi Bilim35C17

It's an interesting though you've had there but I don't think it's the case. My thinking is that a double outlet is for plugging in two appliances after all. It is for the user to ensure the circuit capacity is not exceeded and plugging a WeMo in does not make the possibility of overloading any worse.

No, I think it's a case of the old design being made to look pleasing to the eye (and it is) without any thought being applied to the practicality of it.

Regards

Pete