WEMO Hardware

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Wemo Plug and Marpac Dohm White Noise Machine

My plug and Dohm do not play together. Plug works with other devices. Dohm works plugged into the same outlet. Tried a different outlet too. Any suggestions?

Re: Wemo Plug and Marpac Dohm White Noise Machine

Greetings Panther37

This might throw light on your problem, but bear in mind that I've never seen a Dohm, so I might be wrong.

If your Dohm has an electronic on / off switch as opposed to a mechanical one and you're trying to switch it on and off using a WeMo then that is the problem. Devices with electronic on / off switches cannot be operated in that way. This includes televisions and radios.

It is not a fault with the WeMo. An ordinary mechanical timer would give you the same problem.

For further clarification, check out this link:

http://community.wemo.com/t5/WEMO-Hardware/Appliances-with-electrical-power-buttons/m-p/42901/highli...

Regards

Pete

** Always kudo people who help you and mark their reply as the solution if they solve your problem! **

Hello Panther37

Thanks for the link. I doesn't look like an electronic switch to me, so perhaps there is some other problem.

Sorry I can't help.

Regards

Pete

WEMO Maker Inventor

What does it mean, "do not play together"?

If the wemo works with other devices than the wemo is probably ok.

The wemo mini radio is a bit crappy (the bigger wemo socket seems better) so you may find it works in some outlets but never stops flashing amber when you plug it into another outlet even if it's closer to your router.  So make sure it comes online first before plugging in the machine.

If you can turn the machine's switch on then plug the machine into an outlet and it starts working then it should work with the wemo.  Turning on the wemo is just like plugging in the device.   Does the manual button on the wemo turn the machine on?  If it doesn't turn on in either case, then what Peter said.

If the wemo drops offline (flashing amber) when the machine turns on it could be the machine creates RF interference and knocks out the wemo wifi.  Generally that would be an FCC violation and you might be able to get the machine manufacturer to help.

https://youtu.be/nQwnt9pHw0w
Wow, you guys have been super nice. After just the link I was expecting to be trolled or ignored. I’m used to posting where everyone is more technically inclined. Hopefully the video will help describe what is going on. This plug is on a different circuit than the first place I had it plugged in.

After putting an extension cord in between Wemo and the other device, it works fine.

[ Edited ]

Thank you for your kind comment Panther37

We're all polite folk here! The only acrimonious posts seem to be for Belkin itself!

Having viewed your video, I'd suspect that there is a slight tolerance discrepancy between the two plugs you are demonstrating with, resulting in the one on the Dohm not connecting to the WeMo but being OK in the wall outlet directly.

Since the unit works OK when you use an extension cord, the possibility seems even more likely in my opinion. If you want to connect without the extension cord, replacing the plug in the Dohm might be a remedy.

Regards

Pete

WEMO Maker Inventor

Right, it does look like it's something like that.  The machine turned on once when you plugged it in - seemed to confirm Peter's diagnosis.  If it's a loose fit slightly bending the plug outward might help.

I noticed the white light of the wemo flashing occasionally and it becoming unresponsive to the button.  Is it perhaps crashing and rebooting?  Does the relay click off when that happens?  As I mentioned, the mini is a bit crappy and doesn't like some outlets - moving it away using the extension cord might have sorted that problem.  Or it might just be defective and occasionally turning the relay off depending on the load.