WEMO Hardware

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Wemo Switch - Flashing amber light, but the device works as intended

Hi there,

I am wondering if anyone has experienced this:

After an update my Wemo Insight is blinking the amber WiFi light at the rate of about one flash per second.

While doing this the device works fine; I can trigger the on/off and timers are working as intended.

The device is found in the normally in the app.

I am pretty new to this and wondering if I should leave it this way or....?

Re: Wemo Switch - Flashing amber light, but the device works as intended

Hello Radar224

The flashing amber light means that your WeMo is not connected to your local area network. Therefore it's surprising that it's working. This issue has arisen before though. Check out this link to a previous post that might throw some light on the matter for you:

http://community.wemothat.com/t5/WEMO-Hardware/WeMo-Light-Switch-Blinking-Amber-but-it-is-connected/...

Regards

Pete

Thanks Pete,

It's definetely working. 

I attempted a reset and reinstall of the app software but still the same.

I am wondering if I could force the insight to redo the firmware update.

It's on 2.0010626 PVT right now. Is there a newer one available?

Thanks for the link though!

Marinus

[ Edited ]

Hello Marinus

I'm afraid that I only have WeMo switches and no insights, so I don't know what the latest firmware upgrade is for Insights. There's no way to force an upgrade as far as I'm aware either. You have to wait for the app to offer it.

Sorry that I can't help further, but I'm sure someone else will join your thread and give you the benefit of greater experience than mine. We have quite a few WeMo gurus contributing to these pages.

It might be worth a call to WeMo support at Belkin if one of the support team does not join in here.

Regards

Pete

10626 is the current firmware. If it's working as you want I'd leave it alone. The flashing light may become annoying but given the way wemo stuff seems to function, it may mysteriously go away again of its own accord.

Unfortunately this was my first experience with WeMo.

I made an honest attempt to get this working but there are simply too many unknowns.

I am returning the device and check for another brand.

[ Edited ]

Yes, it is frustrating Marinus

But since you're prepared to take your WeMo back to the shop, you might as well just try a factory reset in case you haven't already done so.

There's a small press switch on the back (if WeMo Insight is the same as a WeMo switch). You have to unplug the WeMo, and plug it in again whilst pressing the small switch at the same time and holding it pressed for 5 seconds. The WeMo will be reset to the factory defaults. Leave it a while to settle down, then you'll have to go through the setup procedure as you did when you first plugged it in after purchasing it. It might just fix the problem.

Yes there are some bugs in the WeMo system, but in fairness people only write on these pages when they have a problem. Many people use WeMos and find that they work faultlessly. Mine do. The only serious trouble I've had is with daylight saving changes and that bug has been fixed by Belkin.

Regards

Pete

I am having a similar problem; the light switch worked flawlessly for some months, but then, the amber light started flashing. The light switch no longer appeared in the app, but it was still using the set s hedule, and Alexa could control it. I tried the factory reset, and I wish nlw I'd left it alone. Not only does the light keep flashing, and the switch still is missing from the app, but now Alexa cant see it and I cant reprogram it!!! Argh!!! Can someone help me?

Hey there, jfrabat

Make sure that your Wemo app is running on its current software version. Try uninstalling and reinstalling it for further isolation. Once you've dont that, try resetting and reconfiguring the Light Switch again.

Harvey - 21598
WEMO Technical Support

Harvey - 21598
WEMO Technical Support

Hey Harvey. There is a consistent theme here from all concerned. Your APP and the switch itself doesn't work. I have multiple WiFi devices in my beach house and the only one that doesnt work is yours. I tried to return it to Lowes where I bought it, but I had to do that inside 3 months of purchase. I bought it May 14th...so I am 4 months out, and hence no return and refund. Yet for 2 months, I have been working with your tech team to fix it...

I have spoken to your tech agents time and time again, wasting hours on restarts, re-installs, re-connections,..., re-everything! I have wasted so much time on it I am about to toss it! The reason I bought it was so I can control it remotely and NOT have to worry about it while I am away. I go to the beach on weekends...last thing I need to do is work on something that should be working in the first place. I receive nothing but pointless advice to get it working. I even purchased a WiFi extender to enhance the signal...nothing. No offense...but your light switch stinks! I will never buy any of your products in the future. Your competitors have much more reliable products and back them up much better than Belkin does...