WEMO Hardware

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Wemo Switch Power Light Brightness

Hello all, I'm a new Wemo user and I have a question I can't find the answer to.

I bought my first set of Wemo switches locally, installed them and all was good.  So i bought 8 more from Amazon.  When I installed one of the later ones, i noticed that the green power light was much dimmer.  I thought it might be defective, so i tried another on from Amazon.  It was dimmer than the ones I'd gotten locally too.

My question is, did Belkin change the brightness of the power light on their switches, or have i hit a bad run or something like that?

Thanks for you help!

Re: Wemo Switch Power Light Brightness

Hello, dannybmcguire. There are no reported issues about the dimmed green power light of our Wemo Switches until now. Have you tried resetting the devices affected? For further isolation, try plugging it into a different power outlet and see if it does the same thing. We'd appreciate if you could show some photos in your next reply so we can take a closer look at it. 

We look forward to hearing from you.

Dennis - 20702
WEMO Technical Support

Thanks for your quick response!

Here's a little more detail.  I have three Wemo light switches in one bank, two of them have nice bright power lights, while the third is dim.  The power for all of them is coming from the same wire, so i dont think it's a power issue, which is why i tried a second switch...but it had the same result.

Also, even though the power light is dim, the switch works normally otherwise.

I'll try the things you suggested (I have 7 more switches to install) when I get home and let you know how it works.  I'll also post a picture of the three switches and what I'm seeing.

Thanks again!

OK, I tried the reset and no change.  Here is a close picture of the light switches will all three turned on.

Pic 1.jpg

You can see the one on the far right is dimmer than the other two.  It's not too bad up close, but here is a pic from about 15 feet away.  It's grainy because i zoomed in on my phone.

Pic 2.jpg

You can't even tell the third switch is on.  This is the second switch in this location that has behaved this way, but i can't figure it out since all three switches drawn power from the same line.

Thoughts?

@dannybmcguire
Thank you for sharing this. Just to further isolate the problem, have you tried to install the same Wemo Light Switch to another switch? To check if the LED is also dimmed. It is possible that the switch bank is not providing enough power to the 3rd Wemo Light Switch.

Thaddeus - 14850
WEMO Technical Support

Yes, I moved the switch to another area and it is still dimmer. I've seen a couple of switches like this and have just decided that's the way it is. Some are just brighter than others. At least that's what I'm seeing. Thanks for the help.

It is a problem with your router Smiley Tongue

Expert

@dannybmcguire

We want to try one more step to isolate this further. With that current setup, interchange Light Switch 3 with Light Switch 1. If the dimmed Light Switch brightens up, then it really has something to do with the power load going to the 3rd Light Switch. Should it stay dimmed when switching it over, then it's a hardware issue.

Let us know how it goes so we can provide further instructions. Smiley Happy

Allen-18085
WEMO Technical Support
WEMO Maker Inventor

Geez, really?  That's a lot of work for wired in switches, and it's line voltage so unnecessary risk as well.  He's not swapping between outlets here.  AND he already said he tried moving them, AND he's given you a picture showing 3 on the same circuit with one dimmer.

I like douwe's suggestion (at least try changing to non-overlapping wifi channels! Smiley Happy), but I'm more inclined to think Danny is on the right track.

Why not be proactive and check your design and suppliers for manufacturing differrences?  You have access to many more lightswitches than any of us, compare them in the lab.  It doesn't take much to change the observed brightness of an LED - alignment is the most obvious, or resistor tolerances, etc. 

And let's be sensible - I really hope the voltage regulators you're using aren''t senstive to 117V vs 115V when regulating all of the way down to VCC.  Surely you're not suggesting those lightswitches in the same panel/line are seeing a huge voltage difference between them?

Harvey_P wrote:

@dannybmcguire

We want to try one more step to isolate this further. With that current setup, interchange Light Switch 3 with Light Switch 1. If the dimmed Light Switch brightens up, then it really has something to do with the power load going to the 3rd Light Switch. Should it stay dimmed when switching it over, then it's a hardware issue.

Let us know how it goes so we can provide further instructions. Smiley Happy

Seriously? Did you skip the part where the OP said he already moved the switch to another location and it was still dim?