WEMO Hardware

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Wemo Switch only works when I am on my home WiFi

I recently installed a WeMo switch on Sunday 1/3/16. I was able to go through the set up, update the firmware, etc. The switch works manually like a normal switch, and I can also control it from my phone if I connect to the app from my home wifi. If I open the application when I am away from home and connecting via 3G or 4G etc, then the app does not detect the device. The IFTTT recipe's I set up don't work unless I'm at home and on my home wifi at the scheduled time for them to run.

Please help.

Re: Wemo Switch only works when I am on my home WiFi

Hi. Can you verify if you have enabled remote access in the WEMO app? If you have, try to reset and reconfigure the WEMO devices again.

Thaddeus - 14850
WEMO Technical Support

I did enable remote access. I'll t ry to reset and reconfigure the device again tonight.

Expert

Keep us posted with the result, sbudke1. If it does the same thing, you can try uninstalling then reinstalling the App in your mobile device.

Kristine_14845
WEMO Technical Support

Hi there,

I am also experiencing this issue. I am currently using LTE mobile data to try and connect to my WEMO switch; however it just cannot find the switch on the app. I have already updated to the latest firmware (both app and device) and still have had no luck.

When I am at home using home WiFi, the switch works with a slight delay (I understand). Once I switch over to LTE, I can open the app, but I can't seem to click on the power button for the switch as it is not found.

Please fix this as soon as possible!

Ryan

Thank you for reaching out to us, MugenR. Let's get this working for you. Please make sure that the WEMO's Remote Access Feature is enabled in your WEMO app and that your internet connection is working properly. After you confirmed it, please follow the troubleshooting steps on this link. Once you're done, update us with the results. We'll be waiting.

Dennis - 20702
WEMO Technical Support

Hi Dennis, 

Quick update. After a few more tries, LTE connection works. However, the app simply uses a LOT of mobile data (eg. every time I press the power button I use up 0.50MB) so perhaps there could be another way to reduce how much data can be spent?

Also, not sure if it's possible, but for IFTTT, if I want my device to disconnect from my home WiFi and turn off the switch, I need to have mobile data on just so I can get the notification that the light has turned off. Can it not be possible to do a rule without using data?

Thanks.

Ryan

@MugenR

We're glad that LTE connection is now working with your app. WEMO uses very little bandwidth on your home network.  WEMO will only use your Internet bandwidth when you have Remote Access enabled. For your IFTTT concern, it does need Internnet connection if you want that specific rule to take effect.

Dennis C_18619
WEMO Technical Support

Just trying my newly purchased switch and it works fine at last with my home Wi Fi network but with Samsung s5 via the mobile connection nothing...The switch is not seen.
.Any ideas please on getting the switch working via 3g / 4G here in the UK ?

Hi, WemoFanUK. Make sure that the Samsung S5 phone has locally accessed the WEMO devices and the Remote Access feature is enabled, before you can control them remotely (e.g. other Wi-Fi networks, 3G/4G mobile connection). If the device still appears to be not detected, you may refer to this link.

Kloe-21503
WEMO Technical Support