WEMO Hardware

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Wemo Switch turns off, but power is still on

Hi,
I have several WeMo devices, but today one of my Insight Switches started to behave wrongly. You can turn the switch on and off, but power is one no matter what. You can hear the relay click when it turns on, and an somewhat "not that determind" release sound when it goes of. My hypothesis is that the relay is defect. Can that really be the case? Perhaps you should consider the more expensive solid state solution then. It is only 14 months and it only turns off/on my computer table.

Re: Wemo Switch turns off, but power is still on

Hello, Dichaelen. By "turn switch on and off", are you referring to both remotely and via the physical button? What's the behavior of its LED? Also, have you tried resetting the device to its defaults, and reconfiguring from scratch to further isolate the situation?

Harvey - 21598
WEMO Technical Support

I've the same problem. It just occurred yesterday. The switch and the app are showing that the switch is off. I can also here a click when I turn it on or off, but the state off the device is still on.
I already tried a reset, but it didn't work.

Hi, purified. We'd like to have a clearer picture of what happened. Do you mean that the connected device on the WEMO Switch is still on the On state even when you've turned Off the switch from the App or from its physical button? What device/appliance is connected to the WEMO Switch?

Please send us a screenshot on the App and a photo of the connected device when you try to turn it on and off from the App so we can get a look at it. Also, make sure that you're using the latest WEMO App version and WEMO firmware.

Jo-Ann - 21744
WEMO Technical Support

[ Edited ]

This has just started happening here too (UK).

The wemo app shows the switch turning off, I can hear the relay switching in the Wemo socket, but the power doesn't go off.

I've tried a factory reset, but it didn't make any difference.

Powering off, the blue light on the Wemo goes off, but it makes no difference to devices plugged into the socket, started maybe 2 or 3 days ago.

The device is a v1 socket, with firmware WeMo_WW_2.00.10966.PVT-OWRT-SNS.

Kevin

Hi, kevinm. Were you able to follow this process of manually restoring the Wemo Switch? Also, have you tried plugging the Switch into other wall outlets to further isolate the situation?

Harvey - 21598
WEMO Technical Support
Highlighted
WEMO Maker Inventor

Lord_M wrote:

Hi, kevinm. Were you able to follow this process of manually restoring the Wemo Switch? Also, have you tried plugging the Switch into other wall outlets to further isolate the situation?

If the relay clicks then the switch is operating there's no need to waste time with a reset.  The relay is worn and needs to be returned, repaired, or discarded.  Best to contact belkin directly, maybe they'll replace it.

Tapping the switch or power cycling it may get it working again for a while but you'll need to keep an eye on it.

Mechanical relays will wear and stick faster if they are used to control motor type loads like fans or pumps.  It's best not to use wemo switches for mission critical purposes.

M'lord Harvey should update his support script so he doesn't waste anyone else's time.

I tried it, went through the process of resetting it, and it's still doing the same thing.

It's currently turning our TV on and off, because the power cable is in a hard-to-reach point, so it's been really nice to have, it's just over a year old...

The "sticking relay" sounds likely, it's only used normally twice a day, to turn on in the evening, and off at bedtime, so...that's not a great sign.

Oh well, need to find a replacement socket.

[ Edited ]

Hey, i made a video of it (turn volume up to hear the relais).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5CX3FaxHh4.

As mentioned in the video. I had a small server +  router running behind it.  On average with 50 Watts, never had a big processor load (Intel I7, no dedicated graphics card) on that machine. 

Newest firmware on that device (updated today, before i shot the video), i guess the relais stopped working (at 50 Watt?)

Had a server running behind that thing. No more than 50 Watts, yet the relais isn't working anymore