WEMO Hardware

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Wemo Wi-Fi Smart Dimmer with a Ceiling Fan

I'd like to get a Wemo Dimmer switch to control my bedroom ceiling fan.  Ideally, it would allow me to simulate many different speeds (not just on and off).  Is this supported and if so how well does it work?

Thanks.

Re: Wemo Wi-Fi Smart Dimmer with a Ceiling Fan

I do not think that ceiling fans are supported. (Open to correction, though)

[ Edited ]

Hi, gtduck. mfierro is right, Wemo Dimmers is not yet compatible with ceiling fan when it comes to controlling the speed. It will only act as a normal switch. However, we're open for suggestions and ideas. Please refer to our Wemo Ideas board.

Pamela - 21733
WEMO Technical Support
WEMO Maker Inventor

[ Edited ]

Are you sure? I suspect it won't even work as a normal switch if dimming won't work with a motor. Then again since it works with incandescent bulbs it just may work with a motor. And what on earth do you mean by "yet". Maybe you should check properly.

Highlighted

Has anyone been able to control a ceiling fan with wemo switches?

I just installed a wifi dimmer on an old 4 speed ceiling fan. It works because it's essentially limiting the power that's sent to the motor. HOWEVER, regardless of the type of "bulb" I select, there's always a somewhat noticeable buzz nose coming from the fan itself unless it's on full speed.

Hi, Pilotchip. Was the previous switch installed for your ceiling fan did not have the sound when turned on? Try to recheck the list of compatible bulbs for the Wemo Dimmer. Also, is it running on the latest firmware?

Jo-Ann - 21744
WEMO Technical Support

Are you seriously unable to tell the difference between a ceiling fan and a light bulb?

You should only be using dimmer switches that are fan compatible. You can burn your fan motor out, or overheat it and potentially cause a fire. A short search will give more insight.

I was nearly going to use this dimmer for my ceiling fan and luckily I did some research first.