WEMO Hardware

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Wemo and TV

My TV is not a smart tv & no mechanical switch. It only turns on with its remote. Is there a Wemo product that will turn it on?

Re: Wemo and TV

Hi @Karenakr, We appreciate you for reaching out to us. We certainly have the product you need.

We suggest you get our Wemo Switch Mini Smart Plug, Simply plug the Wemo Mini Smart Plug into an electrical outlet, plug a device (TV) into the Smart Plug, and control your device using the free Wemo app. click here to know more about this product.

Mark-22022
Wemo Technical Support

[ Edited ]

Is that so, Mark_C?

Really, this old chestnut raises itself over and over again. Devices with electronic on/off switches cannot be operated with a WeMo or indeed any other switching device WiFi or mechanical. To save me from chewing the fat over again, check out this link:

Karenakr take note, otherwise you will be disappointed.

http://community.wemo.com/t5/WEMO-Hardware/Appliances-with-electrical-power-buttons/m-p/42901/highli...

Regards

Pete

WEMO Maker Inventor

LOL!  So long and still no update to their scripts.  Sad that the support team doesn't have the authority to update the support scripts even after learning they're completely wrong...

One question to ask is, why?  If you're trying to save power a TV on standby uses a few watts, and wemo uses a few watts too.  So it might be a wash, even if not you're probably looking at a payback on the cost of the wemo of years or even decades.

If it for integration have a look at the harmony remote or similar.

[ Edited ]

Well there you have it Mike

Ages ago through the ideas section on this community board, I suggested that Belkin should manufacture a WeMo that could transmit IR commands having learnt them from users' remote control handsets. Such a device would mean that total control of all IR controlled devices in a room could be from the WeMo app and your own Automation Manager app too of course. I think that an IR transmitting WeMo would be immensely popular and might well launch the WeMo range afresh on the now crowded IoT market.

Such a device would be easy to design too as there is a ready made chipset to do it insofar as the IR learning and transmission is concerned.

Naturally my suggestion was ignored by Belkin leading to it's missing out on perhaps in excess of a few million dollars in profits. No doubt some other manufacturer will come up with it before long. Indeed, that might have happened already unbeknown to me.

Regards

Pete