WEMO Hardware

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Accepted Solution

Wemo dimmer won't dim

I installed the new Wemo dimmer switch. But I can only turn my LED bulbs off and on. Cannot dim with app or on the device. My bulbs ARE dimmable.  After discussing problem with Belkin support, they had me ship it back for a replacement. Any ideas?  I have a neutral line.  Hooked it up.  I'm disappointed. 

Re: Wemo dimmer won't dim

@pbernard

We were able to pull up your record in our system and it shows that your device was already deemed as defective. Just to verify, did you already contact our Customer Service team about this? If you didn't, shoot us an email at WemoCares@belkin.com with the link to this post so we can have your case taken care of.

Ces-21490
WEMO Technical Support

Yes. I called. Amazon replacing. Thank you. Customer service rep was very nice.

After installing a replacement, my WeMo dimmer still won't dim. I'm sending it back for a refund.
Highlighted
Expert

[ Edited ]

This has been endorsed to our 2nd Level Support Team. A representative will get in touch with you within 24-48 hours. Keep your lines open. 

Nickel - 21388
WEMO Technical Support

[ Edited ]

I am very frustrated with this dimmer switch.  I tried wiring it as shown in the directions, including, with a neutral wire.  It would only turn the lights on and off, and would not dim. The replacement did the same thing. In desparation, I wired it up, switching the 3 wires around. This FRIED the WeMo.  It went back to Amazon today.

I had this same issue. I was using dimmable bulbs that meet the requirements but decided to replace them with another model bulb and it worked. My Wemo dimmable switch is now working as advertised and I love them!

Well, well, well

Check out my query here about the compatibility of dimmable bulbs here:

http://community.wemo.com/t5/WEMO-Hardware/WeMo-Dimmer-Release-date/m-p/38621#M9360

...and check out Belkin's reply.

Regards

Pete

Why would the brand of bulbs make any difference?

[ Edited ]

Hi pbernard

The mains voltage, as you know I'm sure, is 'alternating'. That means that it changes polarity flowing first in one direction and then in the other. This is called one 'cycle' If you're in the USA then this happens sixty times a second. What is not always known is that it rises from zero up to the mains voltage, then drops back down to zero again then the reverse happens in the other direction.

Dimmer switches take advantage of this rising and falling of the voltage by switching the lamp at only part of the rising and falling so the lamp only gets a part of the full mains voltage going through it, hence it dims. Incandescent lamps are ideal for this.

The LEDs in LED bulbs are in fact low voltage direct-current devices and cannot be connected straight on to the mains. Each LED bulb has a miniature electronic step-down transformer to reduce the mains voltage to suit the LEDs. This is relatively straightforward for a single brightness LED bulb, but it is very complicated to make an electronic transformer that can detect the power level that the dimmer switch is letting through and adjust the power in the LEDs and hence the brightness, and so here we have the answer to your question:

Different manufacturers approach the transformer problem in different ways and unfortunately their bulbs don't always work properly with a new dimmer switch that appears on the market.

Regards

Pete