WEMO Hardware

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Wemo light switch not providing adequate power to light?

I am attempting to install the we or switch for my outdoor lighting. The switch hooks up properly and is recognized by my whom and Alexa but the outdoor light is only 1/15th as bright as before. It is Hooked up to a gang neutral wire as the box is shared with 3 other lights, but does not have a traveler wire (verified). could this be causing the problem? The light works perfectly with my standard light switch. Would prefer to use belkin but if unable to rectify may have to change brands. Ideas?

Re: Wemo light switch not providing adequate power to light?

[ Edited ]

Hi, Meterman187. Let's sort this out with a workaround to isolate the issue. Have you tried attaching the light switch to a different power supply or location and check if you still experience the same thing with the lights? If it still does not brighten the light enough, please reach out to us through WemoCares@belkin.com so we can further verify.

Jo-Ann - 21744
WEMO Technical Support

I do not believe the Belkin product to necessarily be the problem, although there was an obvious lack of power going to the light fixtures after it was installed. I did not take the time to connect the product to other light switches. I believe the correct course of action for me to take is to test the wires and ensure that the correct black wire that is providing voltage goes onto the actual power connection provided by the switch, unless that does not matter? I know normally the ground is a white wire, but in my case I have 3 black wires (a 3rd black wire going to where the ground normally goes).

My main effort with the post was to see if this was a familiar issue or if anyone had experienced something simliar as there may have been an easier fix I am not seeing. 

Yes, we agree on your suggestion to test the wires and ensure the correct ones. We also recommend that you would hire a professional electrician to assist you with that. You may refer to this link for setting up the light switch.

Nestor - 21974
WEMO Technical Support