WEMO Hardware

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Re: Wemo light switch won't respond to Alexa commands 100% of the time

My Wemo switches were working with Alexa this morning. I installed two more of them this afternoon. They are working individually with Alexa  but none of them work with routines. Alexa finishes execution of the routine and other devices respond as programmed but the wemo switches do nothing. Please advise. Thanks. 

[ Edited ]

I'm having a similar issue.  Between Christmas and New Years I bought 4 WeMo Light switches and 1 WeMo Dimmer switch.  I installed them and they were working with both the WeMo Android app as well as with my Echo Plus and two Echo Dots.

However, on Tuesday night, all the WeMo devices quit working through Alexa, but they all worked with the WeMo app.  All my other smart home devices worked fine with Alexa.  The problem was only with the WeMo devices.  As I am in IT and we're dealing with some of the Spectre and Meltdown issues, I suspected that Belkin might be patching something.  Support confirmed that they were patching the Remote Control environment that bridges the WeMo app with Amazon and that service would be restored when they were finished WITHIN 24 to 48 HOURS.

That was not acceptable to me (Why doesn't a global enterprise maintain highly available equipment that can be patched in a series, ensuring no downtime?), but by morning, things were working, so I moved on...  Except for the fact that each night since then all of my WeMo devices go unresponsive to Alexa but continue to work with the WeMo app, and all my other smart home devices continue to work with Alexa without issue.  Each morning, the WeMo devices begin working again.

Is my issue still related to patches?  

Update:

I have deleted one of the switches from the WeMo app and Forgot it from the Alexa console, then I performed a full factory reset on the switch.  It is now re-added to the WeMo Android app and is working correctly there, but Alexa isn't discovering the switch.

This is looking like Remote Control is unavailable once again.

Same here. They worked this morning and are now back to not working.

I've had these devices (toward which my wife already maintains a huge amount of skepticism) for only a little over a week.  During this time, they have worked correctly 2 days.  I'm not gaining much ground against my wife's skepticism, and it doesn't seem to be any of my fault.  Belkin is not presenting its services very well after the Christmas rush.

I have 11 Wemo devices and now they are no longer working with Echo. I have removed them all, removed the skill and also factory reset all Wemo devices. Still no luck. The Amazon Alexa app says that “Server is unresponsive.” This is really frustrating right now. I feel like I have wasted my money on these devices because it is no longer working. I bought them because of the linking comptibility and even my daughter can tell Echo to turn things on and off as she is too young for a phone.

Hey, DJU,  do your devices start to work again each morning?  That's been my experience the past several days.

In the last week or so Alexa has been on and off not able to see the Wemo Plug.  I am able to see it with the phone app and turn it off and on but not from the Echo.

I've tried doing a factory reset on the plug and lots of other things but nothing is consistantly making a difference.

Has there been a firmware update from Wemo?

Has ANYONE gotten any response from Wemo about this?

Highlighted

Mine are working again this morning along with all groups. Let's see how it progresses throughout the day.

I received this statement from Belkin support:

Since the Amazon AWS Cloud was under the maintenance to upgrade the CPU performance of our servers. Until then, customers will experience intermittent unavailablily of their Wemo devices remotely (this will also impact partner integrations like Alexa and Google Assistant).

We don't have an update when it will be fixed, however as soon as possible once the issue is fixed we'll update in our official website.