WEMO Hardware

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Re: Wemo light switch won't respond to Alexa commands 100% of the time

In the Amazon Alewa app, make sure that under groups you have added your Excho devices AND your Wemo switches to the group in question. Then, remember to press SAVE at the bottom of the group screen. Then, it should all work.

I had this problem until I did remember to hit the SAVE button.  Now, it all works. Both the ALL OFF button on the Smart Home page and the voice command. 

So how do i get my wemo to work theough Alexa? App works to turn on alexa app works to turn on but when i ask it to turn on she says device unresponsive???

@Martus222

Hi there! Let's sort this one out. Do you mean that you can control the Wemo Light switch via Wemo App? If so, try to follow the steps found in this link on how to link your Wemo® devices to your Alexa™. Hope that helps.

Carl_S 21985
WEMO Technical Support

I had a similar problem. My router was broadcasting both a 5g and a 2.4g wifi with exact same name. Devices were not always connecting to same wifi. When I changed the 5g name I had no more problems with wemo switches.

I have the problem that the Wemo Mini Switch will respond to the Wemo app perfectly, will also respond to the iPhone Alexa app, but when I verbally tell Alexa to turn the plug on or off it tells me that it is not responding, check network connection and power supply.  I have reset the mini, reset multiple Echos, and disabled and enabled the skills.  The Wemo plugs and switches work fine, but this problem persists with the mini?  Any ideas?

Highlighted

Hello DocAustrian. You seem to have tried most of the suggested troubleshooting steps.

Allow us to have our Product Engineers assist you with the advanced troubleshooting steps.

Shoot us an email at WEMOcares@belkin.com along with the following information:

-Full Name

-Phone Number

-Email Address

-Location/State

-Community Username and a link to this post.

Also, additional information:

Wemo Devices (model number/s)

Wemo Devices Firmware Version

Wemo App Version

Handheld device's OS version

Thank you.

We look forward on receiving your email.

Mark-22022
Wemo Technical Support

I got the Mini Smart plug two weeks ago and already had to reset the plug twice because Alexa suddenly stops recognizing it and routines for light on/off don’t work. This week I reset it again and had it working with Alexa. However last night had a power outage and today I realize that again Alexa cannot recognize the plug. Seriously what is happening!!!

Hello Aosorio. As you mentioned you've experienced a power outage. It is only normal for the Wemo device/s to cut off its connection from the network or to where it is connected to. It is one of its safety features.

Also, please make sure that your Wemo device, The Alexa and your Handheld device are all on the same Timezone and make sure that they are all connected on the same 2.4GHz network of your router. Please try these suggested workarounds, let us know how it goes.

Mark-22022
Wemo Technical Support
WEMO Maker Inventor

This is pretty bad advice.

It's NOT normal "for the Wemo device/s to cut off its connection from the network or to where it is connected to. It is one of its safety features.", that's a total crock of BS.  And for saftey reasons?  Come on.  I tell you what, if anyone falls down a dark stairway because a wemo refuses to connect to wifi and turn on you can bet you're going to be sued for a lot of money.

Anyone having this problem needs to double check they're using the alexa skill rather than local alexa device discovery.  There's a serious flaw in the belkin/amazon local implementation that forces the need to use the skill and belkin's cloud for voice control.  You probably want to forget the wemo in alexa if you've discovered it there.

Local control is better if you can make it work - it's faster and more reliable.  AutmationManager can work as a local bridge between the echo/dot and the wemos if you prefer to to that route.