WEMO Hardware

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Re: Wemo light switch won't respond to Alexa commands 100% of the time

[ Edited ]

I have the exact same problem. I have 5 Wemo light switches, and 5 Wemo plugs. They work on the App but not on Alexa. "Living room lights are not responding" (for single devices), "everything isn't responding" (for group of devices).

Extremely frustrating. 

Disabling and re-enabling the Alexa skill seemed to have solved the problem for now. I didn't need to re-discover the devices even though the Wemo skill enabling steps tried to discover new devices (0 new devices found).

I will update if the problem comes back.

Same thing for me, I have switches from another vendor and theirs are far more reliable than Wemo. I bought the wemos because the switch is better on the manual operation, but integration with Alexa and the app are terrible

Exact same issue. I just opened a support ticket with the comments below. 

I have 4 Wemo Mini Smart Plugs. I have had them for several weeks. 

I'm having this exact issue:
They worked perfectly at first. The integration with Alexa worked perfectly. Now, they rarely work at all. They work perfectly 100% of the time from the Wemo app on my phone. I have tried all of the recommended fixes. I have reset everything, and added it back to Alexa. At elast 90% of the time, the Alexa app fails to turn the plug on or off. It either says "device is unresponsive or "Server is Uneresponsive". They always work perfectly in the Wemo app. When it does work, there is usually a 3 or 4 second delay. The Wemo App is instantaneous. I'm on a high home network with a 300 Mbps connection from Comcast. Wireless signal is full strength at all areas where there are devices. Please help. This is frustrating. I only bought these devices to work with the Alexa. It seems many people have this exact same issue. 

Same thing here and it's terribly disappointing. I hope there is a fix in the works because I purchased 5 switches and 2 dimmers and had an electrician install them at great expense. All of the switches work reliably and quickly with the Wemo app but very slowly and unreliably with Alexa. This completely defeats the purpose. I often have to stand and wait longer than the time it would take to walk around the house and mannualy turn off each switch only to find out after waiting that I have to do that anyway. I have 1 tp link switch that I got for free which works with alexa 100% of the time without any delay.

Please help!

[ Edited ]

Read this post an unfortunately I am having the same problem. A wemo light dimmer switch I have was working perfectly until two nights ago when the indicator light turned aqua which indicates an issue of Amazon echo being able to control the device. I factory reset the device, added it back and it worked again. A day later the Amazon echo can not voice control it.  I can control it with the WEMO app and manually at the switch.  The Alexa app will update the state of the switch to on or off if I manually turn the switch on or off at the wall so there is some communication.  When I try to use the Alex app to turn the switch on or off it says it is unresponsive. When I try to use voice command it says the device is unresponsive.  I have deleted the device from the Alex app and gone through a rediscovery and the dimmer is found but still won't work with Alexa.  I have disabled the skill in Alexa and re-enabled it.  As part of the verify, you are asked to turn on and off a switch and I use the switch that I have the probelm with to do the verify and it sees it and verify's it so Alexa knows the switch is there but can not control it. One possibility is that the factory reset I did brought the device back to an older firmware device and it worked until a firmware update was done.  The firmware version is WeMo_WW_2.00.11011-PVT-OWRT-Dimmer  BUT my 2nd dimmer that is working with Alexa voice has the same firmware version so that most likely is not the cause.  I have 19 WEMO devices and I'm starting to see other squirely things happening.

Update: I decided to factory reset the dimmer and go through the set up process again.  I first deleted the device from Alex Smart Home Devices. Then went through the WEMO setup for the dimmer. After that completed successfully I had the Alex app scan for a new device and it found the dimmer. I tapped on the device in Alexa and now the Alexa app could control the device.  I tried using Alexa voice command and that now worked.  So it appears the complete factory reset cleared the problem.  I won't know for sure until this works for an extended period of time.

Hi, All.
If you have not have any contact with our support, please send us an email at WemoCares@belkin.com along with the complete contact details, community username, and the link to this community thread for reference so we can have this checked for further diagnosis.

Jo-Ann - 21744
WEMO Technical Support

I’ve got the same issue. I got the Wemo dimmer switch because TP-Link doesn’t offer a dimmer. I’ve had the Wemo setup for about 8 hours and already I’ve had Alexa respond a number of times with “Belkin Wemo not available”, however controlling the dimmer from the Wemo app works consistently. It seems like an issue between Belkin and Amazon API. Ive had four TP link switches for almost a year, and have yet to have a single one of them fail when controlling from Alexa. I really hope that Belkin figures this out because otherwise, the switch is great. I cannot see myself recommending or purchasing more Wemo devices if this isn’t resolved.

Same issue here but with Wemo Smart-plugs.  All started going wrong when I change my wifi ssid and had to set up my Wemo devices again.  Alexa app showed duplicate devices which I could only remove through the Alexa website.  After that still get some devices saying "server is unresponsive" when I try to switch them off and on from Alexa app.  If I use voice control with Echo it either says Wemo server is not responding or device is not available.  Only think I can think to do is unlink my Wemo account from Alexa, reset all of my Wemo devices and start from scratch.  Not sure I can be bothered having just manually reset the Wifi on all of them!

I suddenly started experiencing the same issue here this evening - the Alexa integration was one of the main reasons I decided to go with the Wemo platform. It's upsetting to see so many similar posts (especially going back a couple of years) with the same problem. I haven't come across any fixes for those of use who haven't changed any SSID or configuration changes, etc. Very disappointing.

I have the same issue, @Wemo support could you please fix it ?