WEMO Hardware

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Re: Wemo light switch won't respond to Alexa commands 100% of the time

2/23/2018... Here’s another frustrated Wemo Mini owner. Just updated the firmware and now Alexa voice no longer works. The wemo app and Alexa still work. So much for simplifying life via home automation. I don’t need another full time hobby. Won’t waste any more time or money on Wemo products.

So very annoyed.
I purchased the wemo dimmer and after 1000000 times trying to get Alexa to control the dimmer. All I keep getting is "that is not supported in family room"... can someone please help me figure out this problem. Otherwise I am ripping it out and putting a plain tp.link one in as in have several of those NO issues with those...
Expert

Hi, @BoxerMom.

Let's sort things out. Can you still control the dimmer through the Wemo app? 

Also, make sure that the Wemo Skill is enabled on the Alexa app. This link might help you through.

Coleen_ 21984
Wemo Technical Support

Hi Coleen. 

Yes the dimmer works via the app..  NO issue hooking that app and the dimmer up 

Yes Alexa has discovered the dimmer, it shows in the smart home thingee ont he Alexa app. 

Yet when I ask her " Alexa turn off family room light" She reposnds with " that is not supported in family room" 

and yes I even tried to change it from a swtich to a light in the Alexa app...  

So frustraing because this is the one room where we need the hands free option because the light swtch i ALLLL the way across the room.  The frustrating part is that the other switches thru out our house work amazing..  and they were half the price..  

So can you understand my being very annoyed 

Thanks for your help 

We do understand your sentiments, BoxerMom. Try to power cycle/restart your Wemo Dimmer. Make sure that the firmware version is updated. Let us know if the issue persists. BTW, was it working fine before?

Pamela - 21733
WEMO Technical Support
WEMO Maker Inventor

Any chance that it's because the name contains "Family Room" and alexa thinks you mean all the bulbs in that room vs that device?  Maybe try calling it "family" instead of "family room" to double check.

It's brand new I installed the switch at 8am and have been trying to get Alexa to work sinxen930 am...

I CHANGED THE NAME TO FAMILY AND IT WORKS!!!
HAHAHAHA.. OMG THANKS MIKE

I have two Wemo Switches and for the past 9 months, they have worked great...  Yesterday, I started getting "that device does not support that" from one of them...  I tried every trick I could find, removed app, removed sitches fromAlexa, resetting them and re-installing them numerous times...  To no avail..!!  I even went and bought a NEW Wemo Mini and as soon as I connected it, it updated and now it does the EXACT same thing...  I am assuming your update Bricked them and now WHAT..!!!  I should have know a Belkin device was a poor choice..!!!!!!

@Keveros wrote:

I have two Wemo Switches and for the past 9 months, they have worked great...  Yesterday, I started getting "that device does not support that" from one of them...  I tried every trick I could find, removed app, removed sitches fromAlexa, resetting them and re-installing them numerous times...  To no avail..!!  I even went and bought a NEW Wemo Mini and as soon as I connected it, it updated and now it does the EXACT same thing...  I am assuming your update Bricked them and now WHAT..!!!  I should have know a Belkin device was a poor choice..!!!!!!

Please make sure the firmware is updated for your 2 old Wemo Switches. Have you tried to reboot your router and modem to check if the issue still persists?

Gerard-21724
Wemo Technical Support