WEMO Hardware

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Wemo lightswitch installation without neutral in switch box

My switch box is feed by one  Romaxwire a black and a white and green ground. The old switch was wired with one black and one white. The house where all this is happening is 55 years old. The green wire is wired to the switch box. Where do I go from here?

Re: Wemo lightswitch installation without neutral in switch box

Typical wiring for a house that old would be two Romex cables coming into the switch box. The first should be coming from the main breaker or a daisy chain from another box. The Romex from the breaker should have a hot (black), neutral  (white) and copper or green ground. The black goes to the switch, the white would go to the return from the light fixture usually with a wire nut.

The second cable may be just black and white or three wires. The black goes from the other terminal on the switch and goes to the light fixture. At the light fixture the black and white connect to the fixture. The ground if used connects to the box or if there is a ground on the fixture. Each box should also be connected to ground but with old wiring you don't always see that.

I have never used the wemo switch, but I expect that the white and black from the mains should go to the switch. If the whites are wire nutted in the box, you may have to add a short jumper wire from the switch to the white wire nut bundle. Same for the ground. It may get crowded in the box and you may need to swap the wire nuts for the next larger size.

Note with the original switch it only needs to break the hot going to the light fixture. With the wemo switch you need to power the wemo as well as the original switch function. Thus the need for the extra conections.

Hope that helps

Philbell - I just looked at the wemo switch documentation. I think everything in my previous post is correct, but I noted that rather than having screw lugs, the switch just brings out leads which you have to wirenut. What you find for the ground conections varies with the code at the time and how the electrician did the wiring. The ground should tie to the box, but you often find it not connected. If the device being mounted in the box has a ground conection, that should also be conected, but again you may find it not connected. Also sometimes the mounting tabs of the device which are normally conected to ground in the device are used to make the conection between the box and the device.

As to the wires between the switch and the fixture. I have seen many different choices made there. You may find that connection is regular romex, but you may also find two black or two white or othe colors based on what wire the electrician had. Since it is just a series connection it does not matter. If you have two black for example just treat one as the hot and the other as the neutral.

The tricky part is the wemo conections. Looking at the wemo wiring digram, the first black wire is the hot for the wemo. Inside the wemo there is a relay that does the switch function. That relay just conects the first black to the second black wire. If you conected the hot from the main to the wrong black on the wemo, you will have power on the wrong side of the relay contacts and the circuit in the wemo will not get power to function and operate the relay.

Bottom line you may find a black wirenuted to a white. That is the neutral. The two wires on the switch are the hots.

I just hooked up a wemo switch by connecting one of the black wires from the wemo to the white wire in the wall and then connected the white wire from the wemo to the bare copper wire. It is functioning perfectly but i am not sure how safe it is...anybody know??

I'm having same problem.  If you find out please post on here.  

PhilBell wrote:

My switch box is feed by one  Romaxwire a black and a white and green ground. The old switch was wired with one black and one white. The house where all this is happening is 55 years old. The green wire is wired to the switch box. Where do I go from here?

There is no SAFE way to configure the WeMo without having a white neutral.

Gordo416 wrote:
I just hooked up a wemo switch by connecting one of the black wires from the wemo to the white wire in the wall and then connected the white wire from the wemo to the bare copper wire. It is functioning perfectly but i am not sure how safe it is...anybody know??

It's not only a Code violation, it's entirely possible that your homeowner's insurance will be void in the event of a fire!

Codes schmodes! Real men/women are always willing to put the health and lives of their loved ones in chances hands, breed chance is that kid who put the fork into the electric outlet when he was 8 and still thinks he's an outlet to this day!😬

Highlighted

In some houses, with only two wires at the switch, are wired with:  the romex, from the breaker, goes directly to the light fixture with the neutral connected to the fixture. A second romex goes from the fixture, with the black wire connected to the black of the first romex, and the white wire to the other terminal of the fixture. At the switch, the black wire, of the second romex, goes to the "hot" terminal and the white wire to the "switched" terminal. Sometimes a ground wire is also present at the switch