WEMO Hardware

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Wemo mini plug not connecting to wifi during setup

HI:

I'm having trouble getting Wemo plugs to connect to my network. I've got several Wemo devices and I've been adding to my system with a couple new devices every few months.  Suddenly, I can't add new devices.  At first I thought I just got a defective one so I returned it and got a replacement but it's behaving the same way.  All my existing devices are working just fine.  I've added some WiOn outdoor devices since the Wemo problems have arisen and they've connected just fine using the same type of proceedure as the Wemo's.

The failure comes at the point during setup where the app tries to connect the device to my wifi network.  I get a message saying the device can't connect.  It's not a range issue as I set all the devices up using a wall outlet that's about 20' from my AP then move them to their intended location after setup.  Any thoughts on why these suddenly can't connect during setup?  

Re: Wemo mini plug not connecting to wifi during setup

WeMo Mini problem - lots of others reporting similar problems.

Expert

@rvmyerscmi

Change the wireless channel of your router to 1, 6 or 11 since these are considered as non-overlapping channels. Set wireless security to WPA2 Personal only. Let us know how it goes. 

Chiqui-17359

WEMO Technical Support 

WEMO Maker Inventor

Chiqui_T wrote:

Change the wireless channel of your router to 1, 6 or 11 since these are considered as non-overlapping channels. Set wireless security to WPA2 Personal only. Let us know how it goes.  

You're still spouting that crap?  Do you not read this community at all?  Phil, who I dare say knows more than you about wemo and who has posted far more useful comments than you ever have, gave the answer.  Do your homework.

The community has been trying to help you for many weeks by reporting the problems with the wemo mini in great detail.  I hope someone on your team has taken the initiative to report it to your development team.  So for the wemo mini: "it's going badly".  There, now we've let you know how it goes.

Highlighted

I had a similar problem with a WeMo Mini and finally got it to connect by not selecting the option to remember Wi-Fi settings during the set up process.

WEMO Maker Inventor

Great point.  The problems with connecting mini to wifi are already difficult 'cause of how poorly the setup part of the belkin app has been written.  These steps might help:

1. Set your router to a fixed channel, rather than automatic.  1,6, or 11 are the standard choices.  Nothing to do with "non-overlapping channels" or your router.  It's a bug in the wemo firmware, been there for years.
  2. Use a different SSID for your 2.4GHz vs your 5.0GHz bands if your router allows it.
  3. Temporarily turn off any advanced setting like "prefer wifi with internet connections", etc.
  4. Connect  your phone to the 2.4GHz SSID before continuing (this makes it the first SSID it will try after setup completes).
  5. There's a bunch of bugs in the setup part of the app that can trip you up.  I always clear the app data to start over, and I seldom use "remember my wifi settings".  This helps avoid the main pitfalls.
  6. Connect to the wemo's open wifi, open the app and folllow the insructions.
  7. Even if the app reports the connection failed, give the wemo a minute to see if it stops flashing amber.  If it does, the app is wrong and you're good to go (another app bug).
  8. If the wemo keeps flashing amber check your wifi password (worth trying it again), and the signal strength in the "available" list (50% or more is usually necessary).

If the main app still can't find your wemo, try reconnecting the phone to the 2.4GHz SSID.  Or if you don't have separate SSIDs stand beside the wemo and disconnect/reconnect your phone's wifi.

The wemo mini has a bug that cause it to have a lot of problems connecting.  It needs a strong wifi signal so try to do the setup near your router and move it afterwards.  It may need a few power cycles (wait a minute between each) before it connects. if you're absolutely sure your wifi SSID/password is correct and doesn't contain any special characters (another bug).

@Chiqui_T, I hope you or someone on your team finally takes the initiave to update your support scripts, it's been far too long.

"That's all I have to say about that"

Out of all my Wemo devices, I have 5 Wemo Light switches in my house, two Wemo Light bulbs, and just bought a new Wemo Mini plug.  (The rest of my house has Hue and have gone through many other wifi controlled lights including Wink etc).

I also had difficulty in setting up my Wemo Mini Plug, however, going through prior Wemo devices, I was not suprised (unfortunately).  I also got stuck during setup where It would say that the Wemo could not connect to Wifi and it might be out of range (I was in the same room as my router when setting up)  Photos of a couple error messages attached below:

unnamed (1).jpgunnamed.jpg

I read through this forum thread(s) and tried others suggestions.

After about the 15th attempt of resetting and trying to setup, for some reason, it worked.

I didn't do anything special, but just keep trying to set up over and over after resetting.

HOPEFULLY I will never have to re-do the setup again, and fortunately I can now move the mini plug to the correct location without losing the settings.

I also had similar issues when setting up my Wemo Light switches 2 years ago.

FORTUNATELY, most of the time, once Wemo is setup, you can forget about it.... (occasional reset needed or glitch when a firmware update comes out, or when wifi goes down though).

tldr;  Keep trying to reset and reinstall the mini plug... it might eventually work and when it does, hopefully you won't have to touch it again.

bgfhgxfhxgf

I tried over 20 times to get the new Wemo Mini to connect to my home wifi.  I was so frustrated.  The last thing I did, I got my old iPhone 5S and updated the WeMo app.  And to my big surprised, WeMo mini finally connected to my home wifi.  So, just want to share with anyone who will stumble upon this thread.  Hope this helps!

yes, WeMo factory firmware sucks.  They should take a look at Ring Doorbell, the implementation is very similar, but I never have trouble to connect Ring doorbell to the network.

Hello!

I may have a solution for this - at least it resolved it for me.

I was livid after my Wemo mini smart plug failed time after time when setup got to the 'enter your home wifi network password' phase.  I could always get to the 'enter your password' step, but then the app would A) crash and B) freeze on the 'Opening Connection' screen the next time I launched it.

HERE'S WHAT FIXED IT FOR ME. 

- Deleted Wemo app

- Rebooted phone and re-installed Wemo app

- Quit all running apps, including Wemo app

- Forced my phone to 'Forget' my home wifi network so it couldn't auto-connect

- Did a hard reset of Wemo plug - hold down power button and plug in, wait until LED flashes white

- Navigated to settings app on phone --> Wifi --> connect to Wemo wifi network

- Fresh launch of the Wemo app, navigate past first step (naming device, taking a photo - I did both)

- Next step - entering home wifi password...I THINK THIS IS THE THING THAT FIXED IT...I used the iPhone's stock keyboard to enter the password, whereas every time previously I used the Google GBoard.  I have no idea if/how that could make a difference, but it seems like it did because it just..............worked. 

- Wemo app connected to home wifi quickly, and Alexa app was able to find it immediately.

FINALLY I CAN TELL ALEXA TO TURN ON MY LIGHTS AND THEY ACTUALLY TURN ON.

Geez, talk about your 21st century, first-world problems.  But at least it's resolved.

Have fun!