WEMO Hardware

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Re: Wemo mini plug not connecting to wifi during setup

Hello, txhercdriver. To clarify, were you using the latest WEMO App when you tried setting up your WEMO devices again? Also, are your devices' firmware up-to-date? If so, allow us to have our Support Team look into your case. Please send us an email along with the details asked by .

Jo-Ann - 21744
WEMO Technical Support

So is the exclamation point “!” A special character? Seriously?!?!?

Hey, support, what if I bought 4 Wemo minis and they were out of date on the firmware?!? How do you update them if one cannot get them online?

Sooooo... I setup a guest network on my router with a simple lower case password with no special characters... no exclamation points, etc. I restarted and low and behold, it worked. Really? I’m updating my firmware in each mini and will try to change the WiFi password to what it is now. I really don’t want to reset it in so many devices.

So, removing a simple exclamation point and taking out a capital letter fixed it all for Wemo, along with forgetting my current network. They install immediately and work speed fast. I would never have guest this.

Question... how does one follow best security practices without capital letters or special characters (!, @, etc.)?!?

Hi, riversen. In regards to your query, you may check this link for the firmware update. Also, to fix firmware update error, you may refer to this link. Hence the security type should work with special characters: http://www.belkin.com/us/support-article?articleNum=7960.

Nestor - 21974
WEMO Technical Support

So are you saying that the firmware supports this after a firmware update or that it should support this? All I know is that it supports it now that I changed the password. In any case, I feel this is not quite the solution I had hoped. On top of it, will support upper case characters?

Hi

I have a similar situation. Talked to Wemo and Belkin tech supports for hours, did not resolve the issue.

Here what I did

I found out that hard reset would not wipe out all previous setting and it seemed to confict with my Wifi setting even it was the same setting. Here what I did.

Plug in your mini next to your router (within 1 foot from router)

1. If you have a guest network (Or mobile hotspot), set up minis with guest network. (Mine set up went through, very easy with error message) Once you were done, tap the pencil icon.

Then "Reset Option" > "Erase All Content and Setting". This should wipe out all setting.

Here the tricky part (I don't know why but it works for me < I think mini config was still there somewhere in the network)

2. Change your 2.4 GHz wifi setup with new SSID and new password (must not similar to the previous one / Don't worry you will change it back to your current setting) and set up the mini with this new setting. (Again Mine set up went through without problem. Do the "Erase All contect and Setting" again.

Now, change Wifi setting back to your original, and set it up again.

Note:
1. If your mini can not connect to Wifi, Amber LED is blinking. Just reboot your wifi. I found out that reboot Wifi solved the problem.
2. Turn off your mobile phone wifi or switch to another network, and switch back solve an issue of device not recognizing. It may take sometimes
Highlighted

riversenRegarding the password, it should support alpha numeric and all special characters. We'd like to have a better understanding on the challenges you're encountering with the firmware. 

Nestor - 21974
WEMO Technical Support

This solution makes no sense, as the Mini has its own SSID.