WEMO Hardware

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Highlighted

Re: Wemo mini plug not connecting to wifi during setup

Yes, it has its own SSID, but it must find your router’s SSID to connect. I suspect, the Wemo mini somehow caches the handshake or connection information. I also suspect that the router will cache the connection in the lease it extends to the to Wemo mini. You have to effectively for a fresh connection and some routers willsoit with a restart... others may need a whole new SSID.

I fought this problem for days after a power outage and was ready to give up. In addition when I reinstalled the app it couldn’t see the other 3 devices either, despite the fact they were still visible & controllable on my spouse’s phone. When we noticed AirPrint wasn’t working, I found a tip to turn off Airtime Fairness on my router and bingo. Existing Wemo devices showed up again and reconnected mini plug on the first try. Fixed AirPrint problem too. 

On my ASUS router it’s under Wireless > Professional > Airtime Fairness: DISABLE

From what I read Airtime Fairness tries not to let older devices slow up faster ones. We’ll see if turning it off has bad side effects. 

Wow - really wish I'd seen this thread before buying 2 Wemo minis this week!  I've had a Wemo light switch for a few years and it's been pretty reliable for most of that time.

That experience ended this afternoon when I tried setting up my 2 Wemo minis (for the bargain price of $50!).  Both devices repeatedly show the same behavior - follow install instructions to boot; connect to the WemoMini wifi; give it a name; select my home Wifi; Wemo app churns for a little while then quits; I go back in and it says "Connecting", seemingly forever.  Meanwhile the Mini is flashing orange and white.

I see the mini connecting to my home router so thats not an issue.

As I said, I've tried this repeatedly with 2 different devices, after doing hard resets of both and rebooting my iphone.  Also tried from my iPad with exactly the same behavior.

Bottom line - firmware on Mini doesnt work with the iPhone app.  Not sure what I can do to resolve this, so I guess I'll have to return them both.

Very poor experience, I'll be looking for an alternate vendor for smart switches now.

I deleted the Wemo app and then re-installed. It worked after that.

I have had luck having more than 5 Wemo Minis set up with 3 Wemo wall switches and 1 Wemo dimmer. I have given up adding an extra one. I’ve noticed that the way I can get it to work is to do combinations of:

1. Restart my iPhone
2. Close all apps through multi-task
3. Reset my Wemo Bridge completely (all of my online devices reconnect automatically)
4. Restart my router (I still think there is some issue with the address renewal the devices get and cannot re-initialize)
5. Reset my Wemo mini by all methods described online (there are more than 1) several times to ensure it took and then again even after it took
6. Reset my iPhone of all network settings
7. Have the Wemo mini as close as possible to my router during set up
8. If I reset all of my devices, make sure I reset everyone and don’t have one device that was set up or suddenly all of my devices show up in the app even after reset (makes we wonder if each device caches some things)
9. Make sure I have a WiFi password with no special characters (lots of numbers and letters, though)
10. Repeat.