WEMO Hardware

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Re: Wemo mini plug not connecting to wifi during setup

Ok. I’ve read many of the posts and the one common thread is that the firmware is finicky and the app is not very resilient. I bought several mini’s in Black Friday for 19.99. Set first 3 up with no issues. Waited a week and had problems like those above setting up two more. I just could not get the mini to find my home WiFi (mesh with 3 access points and Ethernet backhaul). I completely rebooted my phone. Shut it down. When it started again, I turned on airplane mode and turned off BT so only WiFi was on. Factory reset the first Wemo, plugged it in 10 feet from access point and the set up completed. Did the same with the other 2. Then upgraded all 3 with new firmware. Finally, connected them to HomeKit. Once all was running, I moved them to the rooms they needed to be in.

Everything is now working. Automation at sunset for lamps is working. Devices turned on when my wife came home etc etc.

Key for me was shutdown and restart iPhone. Disable cellular and BT. When I did the initial set up, keep devices in line of sight to access point. Keep phone in close proximity (3 feet) of devices till set up. Unplug and move after all configured.

Plan is to add 3 light switches tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

I now can not get plug to reset. When plug it in and hold button I gert no lights. HELP WEMO!

Hello mickrg123. Please confirm, You mentioned no LED on the device. Can you try to plug the device to another outlet? Check if it'll lit up. Also, do you mean to say you can now reset the device? Were you able to setup the device again?

Mark-22022
Wemo Technical Support

Same problem. the app spins. Who has hours to waste on this?

There are so many other 'smart' products  that work so much better, you'd think Belkin would have go their act together by now.

Headed back to BBY

Honestly, I’m replacing wall switch by wall switch where I can use Hues right now. My 5 struggles are a fan in my bedroom, an outside wall dimmer switch (may buy Hues bulbs for them), a garage wall switch to control a fluorescent bulb, a kitchen ceiling fluorescent light controlled by a wall switch, and Wemo mini restarting my plug in transformer for my Ring Pro Doorbell that trips the resettable fuse in the transformer. Once there are ways to switch, I’ll be done with Wemo. Too much time spent on it. It’s not really smart technology at all.

Holy frustrating Batman.

I recently switched internet providers and tried to reset my mini plugs. Without going into it, we will just say that more than a few f bombs were flying. So the only thing that worked after hard resets of the plugs and apps was to go into my iOS settings and turn off cellular data and Apple home options on Wemo. Then in the Wemo setup app I disallowed Apple home and also disallowed it to remember wifi settings. After that it was a breeze. Hope this prevents others from dealing with the same problem of connecting.

[ Edited ]

Glad I'm not the only one!  Been working on these since Christmas for my 88 year old mother!  Gave up and just gave her my iHome plugs!!  Seriously??!!  If I had bought them, they'd have been returned, and I'd have bought her plugs like mine!  Instead, since the receipt was lost, I'm having to deal with this issue!!!  I'm not a novice. I have dealt with multiple devices from different companies. I have a Nest camera set up to monitor said mother, Ring doorbell, Arlo exterior cameras, Echo, Echo dot, Google home, and an offbrand camera to keep an eye on grandchild in one bedroom and iMonitor in other bedroom.  These 2 Wemos are only devices I can seem to get working!  Going to try to wipe an older phone and redo steps on previous post to see if that'll work. 

[ Edited ]

Ugh, totally frustrated with these Wemo mini's. There is no way I could recommend these to anyone.

I have a number of older Wemo devices (switch, insight, old plugs, link+osram lightify). I won't say  these work flawlessly, but they do seem to work. Anyway, I bought my 3 mini's in October 2018. After a LOT of trouble getting these setup, they were finally doing their thing. Well, until my router was power-cycled. Now; none of the 3 will re-connect to my network. I've tried to factory reset one of them, no luck even getting that to configure.

I've gone through the troublehooting tips in this thread and others (incidentally, changing my router's channel bandwith to 20mhz is what helped to initially set these up when I first got them). The mini's do nothing but flash amber (except the one I factory reset, nothing but flashing amber/white with that one).

Router: Asus RT-AC3100

Mobile: Andriod Pixel 3XL

WeMo App Version: 1.22

Time to throw in the towel and move to a different product?

@tagalong,

What is the current firmware of the 3 Wemo minis? Have you tried to power-cycle the Wemo mini and reinstalling the Wemo app? If not, you can give it a try. You can also try to install the Wemo mini using a different mobile device for isolation.

If you've tried these workarounds, we can endorse your case to our Escalation Engineers to diagnose the Wemo minis. To proceed, please send us an email at Wemocares@belkin.com with the following details and the link to this community thread for reference.

• full name
  • username
  • phone number
  • state/country
  • Mobile OS version

Jan - 22019
WEMO Technical Support

Same problem as everybody else. Received WeMo Mini as Christmas gift. Nice idea. Simple looking instructions.

Set up does not work.

My home Wifi doesn't display. Typing it in does not help.

I am having a hard time trying the fixes in this forum. I looked up G-board and default ios keyboard. Pretty sure I am not using a Google keyboard.

What is an SSID?

I have two wifis, one is 5 GHz & the other I don't know. How do you know what GHz your wifi is? Why do you sell a device that won't work on some wifis?

What is a router channel? How would one set its bandwidth?

What is a DHCP and how would one narrow it?

What is WeMo firmware?

What is power-cycling?

The WeMo is maybe 6' from the router.

The WeMo thing says 1.22.1; I presume that is its version.

iPhone 7.

Router Linksys EA7300.

I am a fully competent chemical engineer. I am not a router wizard. I cannot "try the suggested workarounds" since I don't know what you are talking about. My vocabulary is devolving into vulgarities. Is it possible for you to make your fix suggestions as simple as the original very-simple-but-totally-useless setup instructions?