WEMO Hardware

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Re: Wemo mini plug not connecting to wifi during setup

How can anyone on this forum put up with this company? I get that it's cheap. But Horrible product and dodgy company that won't fix this. Unusable. Wemo Mini is a defect. These hacks here don't work.
Expert

Hi, Ramanonos. You can share your challenges with the Wemo Mini here. A lot of users can help you troubleshoot your setback along with the moderators on this forum. Just share with us the details and we'd be glad to help you out.

Chris-21499
WEMO Technical Support

Tried to set up multiple Wemo Minis (Model F7C063). Iphone -layest app and 11.0 ios. No more than one wemo can be included at a time. Junk.

Tried hack of setting router channel to 6. Narrowing DHCP. Deleting app and reinstalling. Resetting wemos. I can add each wemo (so at least each are consistently junk), but CANNOT add more than one wemo. When adding 2nd, no network appears during set up. And So that goes on and on… If there is some other hack here let me know, otherwise I’m going to cut my losses and return this junk.
Expert

Hi, Ramanonos. You need to finish the setup of one Wemo device before proceeding to setting up another one for your devices to be configured properly. By "no network appears during set up", are you referring to the wireless network of your router or the default SSID of your Wemo device? How far are your Wemo Mini Switches from the router while you set them up, by the way?

Chris-21499
WEMO Technical Support

No network appears for me either during setup (my SSID is not listed under 'Select your home Wi-Fi network'). And if I choose 'Other' and manually enter my SSID and password, it tells me "The WeMo App was unable to connect to SSID. Please try re-entering your password." 

My plug is about 5 feet from my router in the same room.

Hello, Vilandra. What's the current version of your Wemo app? Is it up to date? We suggest that you turn OFF your Wi-Fi, reboot your phone, and try to see if you can now detect the router's SSID. You can also try to use a different handheld device for further isolation.

Feel free to update this thread with the results so we can get this sorted out.

Dennis - 20702
WEMO Technical Support

I have two Minis that have been in operation for about 2 months. The Mini in named "Front Room" got disconnected this past weekend and would not reconnect. I, too tried everything on the forum with no avail. However, rebooting both my wireless modem and Android phone did the trick as suggested by . "Front Room" is back on-line and the Wemo app is now recognizing and controlling the Mini. 

A note for what-it-is-worth:

I have a dual-band Asus wireless modem. The 2.4GHz and 5GHz are not hidden and have different names. The 2.4GHz band is on channel 6. Both bands have the same password which is a 10 digit number. When my Android phone is connected to the Mini during setup, neither band shows up on the setup screen but my Laserjet Pro 200 does show up. I had to go to the "Hidden" networks option and manually enter both the 2.4GH network name and password. Much to my surprise, the Mini connected without a hitch.

Dennis_B wrote:

Hello, Vilandra. What's the current version of your Wemo app? Is it up to date? We suggest that you turn OFF your Wi-Fi, reboot your phone, and try to see if you can now detect the router's SSID. You can also try to use a different handheld device for further isolation.

Feel free to update this thread with the results so we can get this sorted out.

Hi Dennis Smiley Happy

I have version 1.18.1 of the Wemo app. I tried using two different iPhones (on on ios 10 and one on 11) and an iPad running ios 10 and got the same result. If I connect my phone to my wifi, all could see my existing Wemo plug, but when connected to the new plug I don't get the SSID listed on that step in the setup for both.

I tried turning off my wifi, rebooting the phone, and then following the setup steps again, but there was no difference. I also previously went into my router and forced channel 6. I've tried resetting the plug to factory settings also. And deleting and reinstalling the WeMo app. Also tried rebooting my modem.

And just now after about the 50th time I tried it, suddenly it accepted it when I chose "Other" and typed in my SSID and then password. So I have no idea other than to say that the people who said to just keep trying it seem to have the right idea.

Thank you!

Smiley Happy

OK so thank you so much for mentioning the G-Board issue. It appears that once I used the regular Iphone keyboard and not the Gboard App that fixed my problem.

My problem was during the setup, where it was supposed to show me all the available networks. The screen was always blank, no networks at all were ever found. I tried going the hidden route, entering the SSID and password, never worked. I went through every suggestion I could find on google, and this was the most informative thread, although none of the solutions worked for me. I finally got it though, doing something that makes zero sense, but I wanted to share it here as it is technically a solution, even though it may have only worked for one person.

My Solution:

I gave up on my 2.4GHz network, and decided to try turning on the Guest SSID, making sure it was 2.4GHz, keeping it open with no password, and just putting all of the devices on that network, if it worked. Well, once the guest account was activated, and router rebooted, My original 2.4GHz SSID was suddenly showing up in the wemo network list. But, the guest account was not, and the 5GHz still was not. All I can really say is WTF? No idea why this worked, but it's just one more thing someone can try, before they try the hammer method, as I was getting very close to.