WEMO Hardware

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Re: Wemo mini plug not connecting to wifi during setup

IT SHOULDN'T BE THIS COMPLICATED!!!

Same issues. WEMO's refusal to fix the problem while requiring the user to tinker with the router is inexcusable. WEMO: take a lesson from the Ring doorbell company. I'll never again buy a WEMO product. NEVER. 

WEMO Maker Inventor

I am by no means defending belkin's poor app here, but you should know that your Ring device connects through their cloud, as do many of the other "easier" IoT devices - especially the cheap ones from overseas.

It's much easier for the manufacturer to have you set up a device that connects through the cloud - it's outgoing from your home only and there' s need for any local discovery.  Connect it to your wifi and it's good to go.  Kudos to Belkin who took the harder route of a local api/connection and SDDP which makes it safer, faster, and still works with the internet is unavailable.  But it does seem their development team wasn't up to this challenge and their support team can't cope with the problems...  One big mistake is exactly what you say - support blaming the customer's router instead of owning the issue.

Ring and those other IoT devices are riskier - your personal data and use patterns are exported to them (where ever they might be).  Some do it in the clear with no encryption so it can be intercepted.  The vendor saves your info in their own database to use as they wish with no means for you to check or delete it.  And if the cloud is down and it's a light switch that's not easy to reach you'll be in the dark until your internet returns...

You have saved these WeMo switches from the **bleep** heap. Switching to the iOS keyboard did it for me

Being a fairly loyal wemo customer I bought a wemo mini for the first time yesterday. This new switch will be my 7th in my home. I have never had issues setting up any wemo switch previously. Always quick and simple. Not with the wemo mini. The switch would not find my Wi-Fi network during the set up process. Odd that my SSID would not show in the list of available networks :-( I was actually considering bringing it back however after reading several posts in the community I decided to try changing my router channel to 6 as recommended. This resolved the issue and my local Wi-Fi network now appears in the list. Unfortunately may consumers are not going to know how to do this and will get frustrated and give up. Hope the Belkin team resolves this issue. 

If you have several WeMo plugs and are having a hard time to get a new one to connect to your WiFi network, just unplug a couple of your existing ones and set up the new one.  Once that is done, plug the couple of ones back in and wait for about a minute. They will come back on line and you will be good to go.  

I'm trying to add a mini plug but all it does is flash white and amber.  Nothing happening in the app and can't tell if it's connected to WiFi.  I already have an older smart plug installed. 

what a heap this mini is.
i have two of the original switches and one of the smart plugs installed currently.
bought 2 minis, and cannot even get my phone to see them. i uninstalled the app on my phone and reset the plug itself. now it is just blinking amber and white. i just don't get it

I am having the same issue here.  I installed one about a year ago and do not recall any issues setting up.  I bought 4 of these and now no luck getting installed.  I thought maybe i had a defective product so I have tried a second one and am having the same issue.  I changed router to channel 6...WPA2 personal...to no avail.  I am about to return these if I do not have any luck getting them to work.  I am trying to install in the same room as the router...signal strength is excellent.  Asus AC3100 router.  HTC U11 phone.

Made an account specifically for this topic.

I followed instructions for setup such as connecting to the built in wifi, opening the app only after its was connected etc. I already had two connected wemo devices and was setting up numbers three and four so I knew my wireless settings, apps and accounts were all accurate. Started the wizard and added my settings, app would say device connected to wifi and would start discovering devices. The app would then time out and the device's wifi was still broadcasting. After this one attempt, the device would fail to even connect to wifi at all until I did a factory reset and the same process repeated over and over. I went through every setting in the troubleshooting guides even reluctantly changing to fixed channel widths and reinstalling the app which did nothing for me. I contacted support but avoided the urge to change other settings that the tech didn't specifically call out. Only entered what was prompted in the wizard (email/SSID/password) and avoided changing any other settings such as saving wifi details, custom name, picture, etc. I was then able to get connected right away. You can change all of these settings after its connected so it doesn't matter much in the wizard anyways.