WEMO Hardware

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Pfg
Accepted Solution

Wemo still not responding to Alexa

My miniplugs work through the Wemo app, but not with Alexa. I’m still within the return window, I’ve only had them a month- but I hope they get it fixed. I loved them until this.

Posted yesterday on the news and announcements forum:   We are experiencing some instability with our Wemo remote access services that we believe are related to the Intel Meltdown security patches that were recently applied to the Amazon AWS Cloud. We are planning to perform a maintenance tonight that will upgrade the CPU performance of our servers. Until then, some customers will experience intermittent unavailability of their Wemo devices remotely (this will also impact integrations like Alexa and Google Assistant).

According to this post, it should have been fixed yesterday.  What’s going on, Belkin?

Re: Wemo still not responding to Alexa

Yes WeMo cloud has been down since 1-3-2018; the only way to control WeMo devices via Alexa now days is to delete all pre-existing devices; then disable the WeMo skill (which IMHO is piece of crap) and then re-detect all devices -- then the devices will be detected by Alexa locally via UPnP and they will work just fine!

Sad but that's where we are today...

[ Edited ]

Thanks for sharing. I got Alexa to work with Wemo by disabling the skill and enabling again.

However, Wemo still cannot work with Google Assistant since yesterday! It was perfectly fine until yesterday and I am so frustrated! 

Is there a way around it with Google assistant or just wait for Wemo to fix their issue? I also twitted the issue to @Wemo, instead of telling they are having issues with their servers whatever, they told me to try with a different phone/tablet like it's MY problem that Wemo isn't working ugh!!

Thanks!! 

Pfg

It worked!  I deleted all my plugs from Alexa, disabled the Wemo skill, and for good measure closed the app and re-opened it.  I did the setup on one light, but when I went to the page I saw that  Alexa had discovered them all at the same time.  They all work now.  I hope it stays that way!  Many thanks!

I am not familiar with the Google competitor to Alexa but if they use a "skill" exclusively then you would be out of luck. By "use skill" I mean if they go thought the manufacturer's cloud instead of using simple local UPnP

The WeMo cloud is what's not working right now and that's why we result to this local UPnP method even though that's how everything worked before they came up with the "skill".

It's not the first time a comapny will break a good product because someone had a good idea on the inside...

How did you hear about the cloud issue? Have the mods said anything about it? Wish they reported more of what’s going on

[ Edited ]

It's all over the forums; those that seem to be in the know blame AWS (where WeMo cloud EC2s run) for the Meltdown breach but who really knows...

WEMO Maker Inventor

It's announced here: http://community.wemo.com/t5/News-and-Announcements/Intermittent-Wemo-Outages/m-p/43105#M9

AWS shows their services are all up and running.  No issues with my services nor have I heard anything about TP Links.  I have to suspect it's belkin that can't get their own service back up.

I wouldn't rely too much on that page though... there's a "KRACK" exploit announcement in that section too but belkin has not bothered to do anything about it yet either.

Pfg

After Re-doing everything this morning I thought it was solved.  Tonight 2 out of 4 plugs don’t work with Alexa.  Grrrrr...

Highlighted

[ Edited ]

I have WEMO switch and echo device that it is working without install a third party skill on echo or buying a hub. The three devices that work directly with Alexa are the WEMO light Switch, WEMO switch and WEMO Insight Switch.