WEMO Hardware

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Re: Wemo won't Connect to Wifi after power outtage

Please ping back if you resolve this, I've had very poor luck with my WEMO switch and the symptoms sound very similar.

In my case, the WEMO fails to reconnect to my router after the router is power cycled (obviously everything else reconnects fine) until I fully reset the switch to the point where I have to join it's own wifi ssid and reconfigure it from scratch.  At that point it maintains it's setup until the next power glitch to the router.

WEMO Maker Inventor

This might be the wemo bug where it can't reconnect to your wifi if your router moves to another channel, which can happen when your router is power cycled.  If it's set to select for the best channel (usually "automatic" or "scan"), try setting it to a fixed chanel, typically 1, 6 or 11.

Mike
Reliable and secure (Belkin cloud-free) home automation and remote access:
AutomationManager/HomeBridge/WemoLEDs/WemoHome/MoreInfo

Hi, Ghaleon_R! In addition to Mike P's suggestion, make sure also that the firmware of the switch is up to date. By the way, which model do you have? Is it the F7C027 or F7C029 model?

Irish_16855
WEMO Technical Support

I have an update on my own flavour of this problem.

Firstly I should say that Belkin 2nd level have been in touch, they have called me when they said they would and have offered useful suggestions along the way. All the diagnosis is however my own and they did not seem receptive to any suggestion that pointed at a Belkin issue, but were simply comforted that I had circumvented my problem. (as we would have logged it at BT - "customer error, no fault found" or similar)

Secondly, after my testing, I realise the issue I was facing is not really one of failure to recover after power outages. Though I guess that could be one trigger for it.

The circumstances that triggered my issue were:-

Main wifi hub (a BT homehub 5) set to channel 1 but with the option to use "up to 300Mb/s", which is also referred to as to use 40MHz bandwidth.

A second wifi hub (a BT homehub 3) set to channel 6 and positioned about 4 feet away from the main hub.

(later) A wemo switch, accessing the wifi on the main hub, located about a foot away from it.

With all three of the above conditions in place, I would get a failure after about 6 hours. What actually happened is that the homehub 5 would simply stop broadcasting a wifi signal.  If I had not been looking too deeply into this I might well have just thought that the wemo switch was playing up (flashing orange light) and started resetting any and everything till it all came back. As it happened the best recovery action was to change almost any wifi parameter on the homehub 5 and it would all spring back into life.

If I played around with spreading the devices further apart, or using better spaced wifi channels, I could make the problem go away or at least take much longer to show up.

I believe a poorly documented feature of  the 40GHz option on wifi is that in addition to the channel you select, it will also use another channel from the 1-11 range to get the extra bandwidth. Typically a channel 4 up from the selected channel. So in my case channel 5 which could well be suffering interference from the nearby channel 6 broadcast from my other hub.

However I am still left with the question as to why my apparently flawed setup was working perfectly fine, for many months, until I introduce a wemo switch into it?

WEMO Maker Inventor

Overlapping channels can intefer with each other slowing throughput (retransmissions) but it's recoverable and barely visible when you're using a wireless device.

You didn't mention the SSIDs you've assigned - are they the same or different?  What about the passwords?  Most devices will move between the hubs seamlessly if set up like that so it's pretty common but the wemos can't handle it.

You might want to talk to the manufacturer of the hub after using one of those wifi signal detection apps to confirm that the hub has really stopped transmitting, that sounds like a pretty serious bug.

I'm with you on the unlikelyhood of a network problem suddenly developing on it's own after introducing the wemo - it's much more likely the new wemo was the cause of the problem.  And they do cause problems like that...

Mike

Thanks MikeP.

No the hubs are totally different ssid. Also the homehub5, which is the only one to do 5GHz wifi, has another different ssid for that too.

You observe  that (other) devices will 'move between hubs', but that is not an issue here because the hubs have different ssid and the wemo has not been given access to the second hub (as of course it can only remember one set of credentials!)

And yes, it was by using a wifi signal detector app on my android I confirmed the hub had stopped transmitting. Also my other devices (eg laptop) couldn't see the hub.

BT are notorious (even amongst their peers I suspect) for having an impenetrable helpdesk. They have a 'user community' which is an Orwellian front to deflect angry customers from getting actual solutions to their problems. So no, I've not been able to pursue an evident problem with their kit unfortunately. Life is more important.

My curiosity is piqued by your throwaway suggestion that  "And they do cause problems like that..." I hope you will share, because in the absence of actual support from the vendor, the user community is all we have.

WEMO Maker Inventor

LOL on the help desk!  "If you encounter any trouble with your internet service be sure to report it on our web site" Smiley Tongue.

There's more than a few reports here of users adding wemo's to networks that were working perfectly only to find they now needed to reboot the routers occasionally to keep them working - me included.  Odd problems start showing up after a few days of operation - gremlins loose inside the network.  I suspect the wemos are using up too many resources on the routers - probably connecting with releasing - but I've never bothered to figure out if it is so.  I found it easier just to put all of the wemos on one router and restart it early each morning.

Maybe the wemo is affecting the hub 5 the same way, then changing it's parameters gets it to restart and recover?

Mike

LOL MikeP.

WEMO is garbage if it cannot automatically reconnect to my WiFi after a power outage or my wifi decides to change channels. All of my other devices that connect using wifi (PC, tablet, phone, etc) have no issues reconnecting and WEMO can't. Very dissapointing that I cannot rely on the WEMO since I bought it for its function while I am away and unable to babysit how my WiFi operates.

Highlighted

Something you WeMo people need to realize is that we buy these products to use them remotely. All of these solutions involve being onsite to cycle power, etc. My power just came back on at a remote site and both WeMo devices are still offline. Now I need to make a special trip to get these back on line. These products need to be rock solid robust or they are useless. I'm willing to work with you but you gotta do better. Please!