WEMO Hardware

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Wemos don't reconnect after rebooting the router

... or power cycling it. I have to unplug the 4 Wemo minis and plug them back. I have to press the LED button on the dimmer and the reboot button on the light switch. They then all come back online. I must avoid rebooting the router and hope that there will be no power outage.

The router is a TP-LINK Archer C1900. There's a dozen other devices connected without any problem.

I tried factory reset, WiFi reset, channel number (auto too), short/long GI, Auto/20/40 MHz, b/g/n or n only... Sigh.

Help? Could the Wemo either wait a few seconds before reconnection or try more than once?

I am disabled and hoped to get some relief with home automation...

Re: Wemos don't reconnect after rebooting the router

I assigned static IPs. Same difference. I noticed that the modules log on the network but don't get an address from the DHCP server until I restart them.

I just checked the router's log. Interesting... When the Wemos are power cycled, you can see the DISCOVER/OFFER/REQUEST/ACK dialog between DHCP client and server.

*This sequence doesn't appear in the log after the router just rebooted!* The Wemos are on the network but without an IP address.

My theory is that Wemos are doing DHCP requests too soon, before the DHCP server comes online.

The solution would be:

1. Wemo sees SSID
2. Wemo waits two or three seconds
3. Wemo connects to router
4. Wemo waits two or three seconds more to let the DHCP server settle
5. Wemo sends DHCP request
6. If IP address is not obtained after five seconds, go to step 5 for up to 10 times

Could tech support verify this? That would be an easy fix.

I am experiencing the same issue, after patching my router firmware the WeMo devices refuse to reconnect.

My internet connection was out for half an hour. Had to reboot the router to get a new IP and now all the Wemos are offline again, except the light switch.

It's obvious that the Wemos' firmware is the problem. All units show up in my router's connected clients list but have no IP assigned.

The light switch works fine... Is it a coincidence that the firmware version is different from the other modules?

I hope I get an answer by Monday or I'm sending back everything to Amazon.

Tech support is working on my case.

After my afternoon nap, I found all the Wemo minis offline. I just hope something was tried remotely to cause this. The dimmer and the light switch were still online.

Amazon gives me until January 31st to return everything.

Arrrgh, it's been worse today, they all disconnect one by one. Automation Manager's details option show pwr=100 at all of them. I get 75 Mbps down with SpeedTest on my phone close to any Wemo.

There's definitely a problem with either the hardware (hopeless) or the firmware.

We'll look into this, Johnkeithwood. Can you share with us the workaround you've done so far? Were you able to do a reset on your WEMO devices? You may also try rebooting them so we can refresh their connection to your wireless network.

Jo-Ann - 21744
WEMO Technical Support

I am experiencing the exact same issue with the exact same hardware.  I have a TP-Link Archer C9 (1900) and 7 WeMo smart mini plugs.  The behavior is exactly the same.  If I power cycle each of the mini plugs, they will reconnect to my router and work correctly.  Then, at some point they usually will dissappear.  If the router has to be rebooted and any of the plugs are currently working, all of them dissappear when the router comes back.

I have done and tried everything the original poster has done.  Assigned static IPs and tried the various router changes to no avail.  This is very frustrating and I've spent too many hours on this since I've had them (Summer - Prime Day).  There definitely seems to be an issue with the plugs reconnecting to the router.  

Belkin, is there any update on this?  Any insight into what may be going on?  A Google search will reveal there are many others with the exame and similiar issues, so this is not just isolated to a few of us with specific routers.  There have been lengths of time I have to resort to using them as just pass through outlets, leaving them always turned on via the hardware button and controlling each connected light/device manually like before I had the plugs, defeating the entire purpose.  

I returned everything last Friday, taking advantage of Amazon's return policy. I installed five HS100 switches and three LB100 bulbs from TP-LINK. Apart from putting the phone in airplane mode and turning the Wi-Fi back on during setup, it was so easy that it was almost disappointing... Nothing to tinker with! You don't even have to manually connect to the outlet's wi-fi, the app does it for you!

The Wemo minis and the new dimmer are duds. Plain and simple. And it seems that Belkin would not issue a recall even if their reputation depended on it. I wish them a class action lawsuit. I recommend everybody to look up their local consumer protection laws. It might be possible to get your money back.

Asking people to plug/unplug/reset stuff is insulting. It *never* works. No one should have to go through this to use such a simple product. Even when it happens to be working, it's laggy and unreliable.

I live in a small house, so not having smart things integration is not a necessity. What is needed, though, is reliability.

Here are my router's settings:

Dual-band, same SSID on both.
2.4 GHz n only, auto 40 MHz channel, short GI.
5 GHz n/ac only, auto 80 MHz channel, short GI.
DHCP with reservations for neither the switches or the bulbs.

And it works. I also have a Leviton wi-fi dimmer and four flic buttons connected through IFTTT.

Belkin, I'll never buy your products again.