WEMO Hardware

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Anonymous
Accepted Solution

Wemos randomly not responding with Echo

Hi, I installed 13 wemo light switches and 5 wall switches in my house and I must say for the most part I am very happy.  We use 2 Echos to turn lights on and off, but randomly a switch will not respond.  If I tell Alexa to try again it usually works the 2nd time.  Is this normal?  It's not very often and it's always a different switch.  Most of the time the wemo app works fine, but I rarely actually use it so not real sure.  I live in the country so wifi interference is not a problem.  

So is this a wemo issue or Echo issue?  Every thing is updated to the latest.  Does anyone know if Alexa talks directly to the wemos?  Or does it actually go to the internet, get the command and then issue it?  I have plenty of bandwidth, but we are use a wireless ISP so latency is a tad more than many people might have.

Re: Wemos randomly not responding with Echo

Have you enabled the Wemo skill on the Alexa app? You must have for it to work I guess

It's likely to be a Wemo server issue. I connected my wemo light bulbs to my Smartthings Hub and it works flawlessly with Alexa and in general

I'd love to know the answer, I have the same issue. My lights only work about 75% of the time with Alexa. Asking twice usually works, but not always. And often times Alexa tells me the device is not responding, yet actually completed the action I asked for.
Community Manager

drunkpenguin wrote:

So is this a wemo issue or Echo issue?  Every thing is updated to the latest.  Does anyone know if Alexa talks directly to the wemos?  Or does it actually go to the internet, get the command and then issue it?  I have plenty of bandwidth, but we are use a wireless ISP so latency is a tad more than many people might have.

The echo works through the Wemo cloud server.  You say your command, that shoots to the amazon servers to resolve, it then contacts our server and sends the command through there to your Wemo.

Couple of places it could hiccup.  

Regards,

Robert S.

Wemo Support

Anonymous

Considering both Echo and Wemo exist on the same network it would be nice if they didn't need internet access to complete that function.  Is it possible that someday they might talk directly?  Or is that more of an Echo question?

Community Manager

drunkpenguin wrote:

Considering both Echo and Wemo exist on the same network it would be nice if they didn't need internet access to complete that function.  Is it possible that someday they might talk directly?  Or is that more of an Echo question?

It originally did using UPnP but was recently changed to work with the Wemo cloud server over the net.   The local UPnP method also had its own hiccups that users sometimes ran into.

Regards,

Robert S.

Wemo Support

Robert_S wrote:

drunkpenguin wrote:

It originally did using UPnP but was recently changed to work with the Wemo cloud server over the net.   The local UPnP method also had its own hiccups that users sometimes ran into.

Had?? Ran?? Smiley Happy

I have experienced similar randomSwitch / Light Switch not being recognized. I thinkif you created various Rooms and assign various WEMOs to them and then ever edit device names (i.e. to simplify names for Alexa/your commands) then that is where trouble kicks in. So keep voice training Alexa often and make sure you give her cloud database of names to 'catch up" in effect (maybe 10 min max) before you start barking commands using names you JUST created ; also recommend power cycling your Echo right after that wait period.

It's now 2018 and the issue is still there.  About 1 time out of 3 or 4, Alexa says it can't contact the device.  I have several WEMO plugs, and if I then open the WEMO app it often shows only one or two of the devices as being on line even though they are all well within the coverage of my router.  If I tap on a grayed-out device, the app just offers to hide it until it comes on line.  After a minutes (not seconds), the devices usually show up again in the app and then Alexa can find them, too.  I have reset them, updated the firmware, enabled remote control, and everything else I can think of but the problem persists.  It doesn't give me a lot confidence that I can rely on WEMO to control my lights to make my home look "lived in" when I am away.

Allow us to have your case checked further by our Support Team, ChileManPlease send us an email us at WemoCares@belkin.com along with your phone number, location, community username, and the link to this thread for reference.

Jo-Ann - 21744
WEMO Technical Support