WEMO Hardware

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

WiFi Issues

[ Edited ]

Hello all,

I figured I'd give the forum a shot before email tech support.

I *finally* got a wemo outlet for Christmas.  I plan to use it in my garage to control a block heater (tractor or truck).  I haven't gotten there yet, though.

I had an old 802.11b access point I set up in the garage, and the wemo did not like it.  It would constantly be "not found" in the app.  It just wasn't reliable.  It did seem perfectly reliable on my house wifi, however (so an AP issue, not a WeMo issue).  Ok, I thought, I'll get a cheap modern AP for the garage.

The house wifi that works well is a TrendNet TEW-735AP (http://a.co/6SjjIAr).

The NEW garage wifi (set up in the house for now) is a TP-Link TL-WA855RE (http://a.co/1Fbk2SZ).

Network....Both wifis are APs only.  DHCP and routing comes from another device (Bandrich 4G device).I have a gigabit switch and maybe a dozen devices.  I've set the channel to fixed on all APs.  Consistently the TrendNet is reliable, and anything else (TP-Link) is not.  I live in the boonies, so there's no WEP or anything of the sort.  Both APs are 100% open.

I'm pondering buying another TrendNet AP, but they're about $100, and the garage doesn't need that.  This friggin WeMo shouldn't need that.  A simple (cheap!) access point should be fine.  What's wrong with the TP-Link?  Is there a "known good" access point I should get instead?

Please help!

Thanks.

WEMO Maker Inventor

Re: WiFi Issues

The problem is likely the wemo protocol and the belkin app as it doesn't work well across APs.  In fact the old AP was probably working fine (unless the wemo switch was blinking amber).  The tips here Finding Wemo might help.  You may find you need to reserve an IP for the wemo and use a 3rd party app for a reliable connection.   Should work well if you only need to control it when you're at home.

I mostly need it to work when I'm *not* at home.

I'll read through that link, thanks.

It is noteworthy that the ONLY thing I've been messing with is which AP it uses.  My router is up on the roof of my house and does not do WiFi.  The router also does all the DHCP and DNS.  I was wondering if it had something to do with the upnp broadcasts or something.  I'm not sure.  It's just annoying.  I could just double-NAT it in the garage, I've read where that works, but I can't bring myself to do that unless it's a last resort.

It's rock solid on that trend-net AP though.  Guess I'll be ponying up to get another one, despite the fact that a cheap AP/extender should work JUST FINE.

This thing (the wemo) is so weird....

So I have a bandrich 4G router with two APs.

(1) Trendnet TEW-735AP

(2) Trendnet TEW-638PAP

If I connect the wemo to (1), it is rock solid.  My phone can be connected to (1), (2), or 3/4G.  100% perfect.

If I connect the wemo to (2), it is pretty good.  It works perfect when I'm connected to (2) or 3/4G.  But if I'm connected to (1), it just is NOT reliable.

I just don't get it!

I just found another TEW-735AP for "only" $90 on Amazon, so I bought it.

Nothing like $90 to make a $20 (on sale) device work.

I'll send back the TEW-638.  I gave it a try because it was also a trendnet device.  Worth a shot.........

Any thoughts?

I will send back also.

So I bought a TPLink smart outlet.

Struggled setting it up till I learned that I was *required* to have a secure wifi.  Well, my APs are fancy enough to have multiple SSID ability, so I set one up.

On a whim, i tried the WeMo with the new SSID.  It seems to be working great.  I've found references to a few things that might be helping.

New SSID is much shorter and has 2 capital letters instead of 4 (some say use only 1 capital).

New SSID does not have any spaces, old one had a space.

New SSID is secure, with simple 5-number password (sounds like the kind of combination an idiot would have on his luggage).

The house SSID that I had early success with has no spaces, but the cheap WIFI APs that I've tried also had no spaces.  So I'm just not sure.

So anyway the WeMo *seems* to be ok again.  I've been down the "keeping it" road several times now, so I'm cautiously optimistic.  It's beyond its return window (without special permission), so I should keep it if it'll work.

The TPLink has been pretty rock solid.  There are app differences (some favor wemo, some tplink).  The biggest annoyance is the widget they have isn't the greatest.  Also, it takes a long time to be controllable when going from wifi (even non-home wifi) to cellular.  In my normal mode of operation, that's a very minor drawback.

TPLink $30

WeMo $40 (except the one I have was on sale for $21)

Highlighted
WEMO Maker Inventor

[ Edited ]

Odd about the SSID.  Any chance it could be a settings difference between the two signals - b/g/n or the band width/speed type?

I've found the TP Link home automation products to be quite good.  A little heavy on phone battery when at home though.  The app is ok but I don't like giving away personal information to use it.  The TP Link bulbs replacement for the wemo bulbs that have been dropped by belkin.  The TP Link bulbs connect directly to wifi and only cost a little more than the zigbee based wemo bulbs.  The next release of WemoHome and AutomationManager will include native support for the TP Link home automation products (in beta now) so they can be integrated with the rest of the Wemo family and can be used with the WemoHome/AutomationManager widgets.

The settings are the same (seeing the interface, would make sense), except the ssid & security.

In the last several days, the wemo did fall off the network once.  I didn't really troubleshoot, I just un/re-plugged it.

I like the TPLink outlet fine as well.  I "already own" the wemo though, so I'll use it.

If your app could also work when away from home, I'd probably get it.  It would allow for ONE interface for use with several different smart outlets.

WEMO Maker Inventor

Yep, it does allow remote access to the devices - you need to run the server part on an old android device, or a PC/Mac, or even a new low end android ($10-$20 from walmart/target/bestbuy).  Then you can use AutomationManager client part or any web browser to control the wemos and TP Links remotely. TP Link support was released over the weekend.

How does it get into the network to control the android device?

My ISP only gives me a *private* I.P., so there is no port opening or anything of the like.

Thanks.