WEMO Hardware

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Re: Wifi Setup network broadcasting constantly

@Codylegger

Hi there! Let us have our 2nd Level Support team take a look into the setback and have their further diagnosis. Please shoot us an email at WemoCares@belkin.com along with your updated contact details mentioned below: 

- Full name. 

- Phone number and Location - City or State.

- MAC Addresses of the affected Wemo Minis. 

- Community Username. 

- The link to this thread for our easy reference.

Carl_S 21985
WEMO Technical Support

I am having the same issue with the latest 3 pack of the plugs.  I had 4 previous ones that do not have this problem and 2 switches that also do not have this problem.

Is there a fix in the works to correct for this or should I return them and order new ones?  Can Wemo, RMA these and send new ones?

Hello STeed. If I may ask, what troubleshooting did you try to resolve the issue? Were you able to setup the Wemo plugs successfully? Try rebooting the device and plug it on a different outlet. Check if it'll fix the issue.

Mark-22022
Wemo Technical Support
WEMO Maker Inventor

Oh no!  So you folks at belkin still don't know why they do this?

Are you still going to try to convince us there is no security risk even though you don't have any idea why it's happening nor how ot fix it?  You've been looking into it for at least a month as per Reynaldo's post, it must be a VERY difficult problem.   Perhaps you need to raise the urgency/priority  to critical?  BTW, Reynaldo was wrong - if the wemos have changed from setup mode to operational mode they would no longer be broadcasting their AP.  At best they're in dual (soft AP) mode.

Can you at least update us on the investigation progress?

Mike
Reliable and secure (Belkin cloud-free) home automation and remote access:
AutomationManager/HomeBridge/WemoLEDs/WemoHome/MoreInfo

@Mark_C,

This is still a problem after multiple attempts at unplugging them.  Those are still broadcasting their setup profiles.  I do have them successfully setup.  They work from the Wemo App, and though Google Assistant.  I want (need) to have this figured out.  Security-wise, this is a big issue.

STeed

Alright, STeed. Please allow us to have our Product Experts assist you further with this. Please email us at WemoCares@belkin.com the following details so we can create a case for you:

-Phone Number

-Link to this community thread

-User Name

-Model and make of your handheld device

Fritz-21902
Wemo Technical Support

Same issue here with the three pack. The individual unit and a "two pack" (two singles sold as one SKU) are fine.  Seems like its a manufacturing issue with a certain set.  Here's my saga for what its worth.

The first one I purchased from the Apple store as a trial worked great.  No issues.  Its homehit ready and has the QR code and all.

Three pack from Amazon also came homekit ready and was more difficulto to set up. These are the three that still broadcast their setup networks. 

One fix mentioned in the forum is taking down the entire nwtwork and bringing it back up again, effectively reconnecting the minis. That worked.  No more broadcast. Then I made the mistake of picking up two more. A two pack from Amazon. These were older, didnt have the homekit QR code etc. and needed a firmware update.  These set up differently (third diff setup reoutine) AND they somehow got the three wifi broadcasters to start up again. 

Took down the network again ... no luck this time.  Deleted all the wemos from "offline devices" in the velop router while they were unplugged ... no luck.  They are super annoying. Made even more so becaseu they are really good otehrwise.

Hi, ws1monds. We have resolved this issue by the recent firmware update for the Wemo Mini Smart Plug v1. Please try updating the firmware to version 2.00.11219.
Should the issue persists, send an email to WemoCares@belkin.com with the following info so that we can have our Escalation Engineers look into this
▪ your username and link to this post for reference
▪ Wemo app version
▪ model and OS version of the smart device you are using for the Wemo app
▪ your name
▪ city/state
▪ contact number

Reil – 22071
Wemo Technical Support

Seeing this same issue.

v2 hardware at firmware WeMo_WW_2.00.11299.PVT-OWRT-SNSV2 does not exhibit the behavior (for me).

I have two v3 hardware model minis that are showing the behavior after a power cycle:

v3 hardware at firmware WeMo_WW_2.00.11163.PVT-OWRT-SNSV2

Only way I can get the v3 models to stop advertising their internal wifi is to totally reset them and set them up as new.  They are fine then, but if they lose power and restart, they begin advertising their internal network again.  Operation via WeMo app and Homekit continue to function normally during this behavior.

Hope to see a fix soon for the v3 firmware - not wild about having an unsecured network broadcasting that is bridged to my network.  This situation should be given priority given the secuirty surrounding the problem, and also should be fairly easy for Belkin to recreate to diagnose.

Thank you

Hello PatrickT. We've already taken note of these cases and our Product Engineers are already aware of this. They are currently working on a fix. Your patience is very much appreciated.

Mark-22022
Wemo Technical Support