WEMO Hardware

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
psy

current_power_w in standby

I have HomeAssistant monitoring the power consumption of a Wemo Insight switch.

The switch is connected to a Whirlpool washing machine,

When the washing machine is off, power consumption is about .5w.

When the washing machine is idle, it's about 1.5W.

When it's performing a wash cycle, it fluctuates but is above 20W.

In homeassistant I used to previously be able to tell when the washing machine was off, idle and running based on current draw.

Over the last few days, I've not been able to get a current_power_w value when the machine is off, or idle because it's not drawing enough power to take the switch off standby.

This was previously working.

When the Insight switch is in standby, it does not appear to be sending a value for "current_power_w" to HASS. The Wemo app reports that the switch is in standby.

If I plug an iron into the switch (which is quicker than a wash cycle), I can see the current_power_w value in HASS.

Is there any way of disabling standby mode on the Wemo Switch, or lowering standby mode to something below 2W (I have the android app and 2W is the lowest value), or having the insight switch send current_power_w regardless of state?

Re: current_power_w in standby

Hi, psy. Our Wemo Insight Switch goes on standby mode if the connected device is lower than the set threshold. Minimum threshold is strictly 2W, and standby mode can't be disabled.

Kloe-21503
WEMO Technical Support
psy

Thanks for the response Klaudette.

Confusingly the Wemo insight switch was reporting current_power_w when below 2W and is now not.

Using wireshark I can see the state is set to 8, which I am lead to believe is standby.

Will the Wemo not report current power consumption below 2W?

Was there a software update that did this? It WAS working.

psy

Further to my post. 

If it doesn't report current power consumption under 2W, then how do I track the cost of running the appliance.

in a standby state,it's still consuming power!

Highlighted
WEMO Maker Inventor

Assuming the washer was in off or standby about 90% of the time, over a year you'd use 365*24*0.9*2W=16KWhr maximum.  Even at $0.20 per KW that's about $3.20, you could add that much to the total as a worst case.

There's something wrong with HASS, my app is getting a proper current report from the Insight in standby even when below 2W.

psy

Thanks Mike. Very helpful.

My device is reporting 0.0W in 'Wemo Manager' on Android.

pywemo current_power is also reporting 0 (although not a good test as this is what HASS uses).

Have factory reset the insight switch in the Wemo App and also from the device itself. 

Is it possible that my device is faulty (as mentioned, this was working. If it never worked I'd be comfortable with that!).

WEMO Maker Inventor

It's weird that the insight would stop reporting power use only in standby.   When the washer is running it should be using a few 100W to over 1000W, is that showing up?  Maybe the power measurement part has broken across the range and is reading low so a few W on standby is now reading as 0?

AutomationManager/WemoManager should show power use down to 1/10th of a W (though you might need to use refresh to get an instant eading if it's been sitting for a while).

psy

Hi Mike,

Wemo manager reports 0w when the machine is off (but will still be consuming power), and 0w when it's idle (was previously reporting ~1.4w).

Wemo manager reports ~32w when I plug an iron in to the switch, which doesn't sound accurate?

It certainly does sound like my device is now faulty.
WEMO Maker Inventor

Sounds like - a regular clothes iron is usually around 1000W.  The current measurement part may have failed and is reporting too low.  Hopefully the belkin folks will contact you here to offer a replacement...

psy

Thanks for your assistance Mike. Much appreciated. 

Im down under (in Australia). Not sure if Belkin AU monitor these boards?

May just open a support case and reference this thread.