WEMO Hardware

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Accepted Solution

wemo devices mac address

Why does the wemo devices have one physical mac address, but show a different software mac address?

this is on multiple device switches insights and sensors????

Surely this cannot be right? or am I missing something.

All I know is this i think this is causing my devices to disconnect as the router is getting confused, and the mac address is only different by 1 digit. do i need to dhcp reserve 2 lots of address for each dvice to get them to work properly??

some guidence would be nice and please please please dont tell me to reset the device or delete and reinstall the appson either of my ios or android, this fixes nothing to do with this issue.

I have factory reset everything phones ipads router devices everything and yet it still the same.

thanks in advance ;oD

Highlighted

Re: wemo devices mac address

You don't need to reserve addresses etc. I believe the first MAC is is that of the device that transmits the WeMo network at setup while the +1 address is what's used from then onwards. If you are losing network connection, this is not the cause.

Thanks for the quick reply, the setup I have requires address reservation, but that's another story lol.

so why do think that the devices keep losing the connection, the app says disconnected but the device is showing power and the router telling me that the device is still connected on the reserved IP address? They kinda do a cycle but it seems to be at when the device is activated or a rule is activated.

any ideas ?

thanks in advance.

In my experience, it seems to be network related - I changed homes and with the new router had few if any problems. The iOS App does have problems occasionally not detecting devices - other Apps seem more reliable (WSwitch, Yonami etc)

WEMO Maker Inventor

Reserve the MAC address seen by the router.

They disconnect for many reasons, more information would be needed to know the reason.  The router log might help.  If you're using one of my apps I might be able to tell from that log.

Hi Mike p,

Sorry i am unable to use your app I have not been able to get my head round it. With all that is going on with the wemo it is probbaly best to not add a possible problem to the mix. is it possible to get a refund???

I agree with you on this up until last night I had a wemo sensor that was not availble on my ipad ( greyed Out)  and offline according to app, on my android phone it was online according to my android app, even my router stated it was still connected to the router and it did actually work as the sensor put the light on as it was suppose to.

please don't ask me to unistall and reinstall the apps, I have done this for the past 3 yrs of having the wemos and is solves nothing.

thanks in advance.

if refund possible fanstastic if not not worries.

cheers

Tony

p.s this happens with all my devices not just sensors. 

WEMO Maker Inventor

Sure, for a refund you send me the transaction id from your google wallet (privately, not on the forum) and I put the refund request through to google.

Too true about advising a re-install, it's a sign of a poorly written app - especially if it works - which usually means the problem will return since the developers don't know how to fix it.  I think I've advised it only once since I released my apps to debug a widget problem related to the android os and a particular launcher.

Most often this happens when using a 2 band router, you need to enable multicast for it to work with my or the belkin app.  That's the reason belkins tells you to connect to the 2.4GHz band - it's where the wemo's are connected so the search messages get through to the wemos and they respond with state.

Many of the tips I have here work with any app, not just mine: Finding Wemo.

@mikep.....ta

@everyone....

it is fixed!!!!!!!!!

my solution worked, was very surprised, not been a reoccurrence since my last post at all.....finally found the fix.

y thank you!

Hi,

anyone know why the insight switch turned off ( physically or on app ) still allows power to go through?. This make the insight useless?!!!

cheers in advance.

If that's the case, it's broken. All WeMo switches use a relay (you can hear it switch) to interrupt power.