WEMO Ideas

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

3-way switches

by coreymcl on ‎06-18-2014 01:29 PM

I for one have a number of light switches I would love to replace with WEMO's however the switches in question are 3-way. While I understand if the WEMO devices don't talk to each other, but neither do the analog switches I have today. Please consider adding 3 way switches this way your customer won't have to look at other products such as z-wave devices. 

Thanks for the consideration.

Comments
by wemofan168
‎07-29-2015 09:43 PM - edited ‎07-29-2015 11:22 PM

Hi MikeP, I understand your reluctance, and thanks a lot for the diagram above.  I've been studying it since you posted it up, and have a few questions:

Please see your diagram with my numbering:

Presentation1.png

- Each Wemo only has 3 wires (plus ground), but you are showing 4 wires.  On the Wemo there are 2 blacks (1 in and 1 out) and the neutral.  You have 2 ins and 1 out.  Can you explain please?

- Perhaps this question may answer the confusion: You said: Feed the black "line in" to the "line in" side wemo (black), then down the traveler black to the remote wemo "line in" (black).   Do you mean SPLICE the black "line in" (1) and connect it BOTH to the wemo "line in" (2) AND to the traveler (3).  But there's actually NOT another "line in", and your drawing is meant to show the splicing, right?  The traveler then connects to the remote wemo "line in" (4/7)?  

- You said: Feed the "load out" from both wemos to the traveler red and on the load side to the "load in" black.  Do you mean connect BOTH the "load out" black wemo wires (two 5s) to the traveler red (6), and tap that connection again and connect it to the "load in" black (7)?  Again, I don't see a second "line in" so I'm assuming you mean to tap into the only "line in", which I note as 4/7 (same wire).

Sorry for so many questions, I think I'm starting to figure this out.

Thanks MikeP!  You're awesome.

by wemofan168
‎07-29-2015 10:13 PM - edited ‎07-29-2015 11:22 PM

Hi MikeP, I tried to edit your diagram based on my understanding.  Is this what you have in mind?  Thanks again.

Electrical rewired.png

by WEMO Maker Inventor
on ‎07-30-2015 06:27 AM

Yep, that's it.  To keep the diagram clean I labeled them both as "in" to show they're spliced.

Yes, the switched out from the wemo travels down the red - splice that to the other wemo out and to the load in Be careful - the color can depend on which of the 9 options is used and you absolutely must not swap them or the fixture can be energized and shock someone changing a bulb.  In this option the color is black but in some cases it might be white.

One original 3-way switch could be left in place instead of paying for 2 wemos.  In mine I use the original switch at the basement stairs entry and the wemo at the bottom triggered by motion, off on a timer.  If I'm popping down to grab something I let the motion trigger the light and turn off automatically.  If I need to work down there I use the old switch to keep the light on and turn it off when I'm done.  The switch is still conveniently located at the top of the stairs if I forget.  If the line in is on the manual side use the black traveller to send power to the wemo.

by wemofan168
‎07-30-2015 11:31 AM - edited ‎07-30-2015 11:31 AM

Hi MikeP, thanks.  I think we're almost there!  And I thought this would be impossible.  Sincerely appreciate your help.

I have a continuity tester so I will figure out the right wires, no worries (hopefully!).

Couple of last questions:

- What is the purpose of this last connection?:  Feed the "load out" from both wemos to the traveler red and on the load side to the "load in" black.   If I've drawn your description correctly, it would be the orange dashes in this diagram.  I've thought out each of the 4 scenarios (on/on, on/off, off/off, off/on) for the pair of wemos, and I can't see the need for that last connection.  Can you clarify please.

In fact, wouldn't that last connection create a constant live wire going to the load/bulb (green arrows), and isn't that a problem?  Or is it that if both wemos are off, then the neutrals are disconnected and the circuit will not complete, even if there a constant live going to the load/bulb?

Almost there!  Thanks MikeP!!!

Wemo wiring.png

by WEMO Maker Inventor
on ‎07-30-2015 03:32 PM

It's for this:

"One original 3-way switch could be left in place instead of paying for 2 wemos."

It's a switch.  Just like the wemos - if either wemo is ON or the switch is ON the light (load) will be ON.  The load will be OFF only if both wemo's and that optional switch are off.

The neutral (white) is not switched at any time, it's always connected.  You need it to the wemo's 'cause they need power (line in) and power.

by wemofan168
on ‎07-30-2015 09:29 PM

Hi MikeP, I see.  So if I'm going to use 2 wemos, and NO 3-way light switch, can I just not make that final connection andI wire like the following.  Can you please confirm?  I hoping this is it!

Thanks again!

Electrical rewired2.png

by WEMO Maker Inventor
on ‎07-31-2015 06:43 AM

Yes, that's fine.  Quite frankly it should be obvious from the diagram that either the switch or the right hand wemo are optional. I also note you haven't yet indicated which of the 9 possible wiring options the electrician who did the original wiring used for your 3-way switch - that must be determined before changing anything.

Sorry to be blunt - I don't mean to give offense. If this was 5V I wouldn't say anything as trial and error are fine, but as this is mains current it can kill.  You do not under any circumstances want a live connection at the light with the switches off, and you must be certain you haven't made the neutral part of the fixture live.  Both mistakes are easy to make if you're not sure which option you have and could result in a dangerous shock for anyone simply changing a bulb.  I strongly encourage you to find an electrician for consultation.  At the very least carefully test for both conditions with a meter before putting the circuit into operation.

by wemofan168
on ‎08-01-2015 08:57 PM

Hi MikeP, it's option #2. 

I got everything hooked up today and it's working like a charm.  I also tested the light receptacle to make sure there's no current.  All is good.

Thanks again!

by phodara
on ‎10-18-2015 06:03 AM

I don't understand why Belkin has not added a 3 way switch option, unless they don't plan a commitmant to this product line. Ideally they should update this switch with an option to configure as a standard or 3 way, that way they would only have on sku to deal with.

by PapaBear60
on ‎11-05-2015 08:28 AM

Let's see now - Lutron does it.  Apparently, there are others who do as well.  I like the simplicity of the WEMO system; plug-in components, and all.  But this isn't a difficult problem.  Come on Belkin, pull your heads out of the sand.