WEMO Ideas

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

3-way switches

by coreymcl on ‎06-18-2014 01:29 PM

I for one have a number of light switches I would love to replace with WEMO's however the switches in question are 3-way. While I understand if the WEMO devices don't talk to each other, but neither do the analog switches I have today. Please consider adding 3 way switches this way your customer won't have to look at other products such as z-wave devices. 

Thanks for the consideration.

Comments
by fstbusa
on ‎12-01-2017 04:32 AM
I bought a bunch of wemo switches a couple years ago when getting into home automation. Decided since they didn't work with 3 way... I returned them and went with GE and haven't looked back. Wemo is behind the curve... Plain and simple
by juliand
on ‎12-06-2017 07:51 AM

Don't need to make a phyical 3-way switch - simply allow grouping of switches so that state change in one produces an equivalent state change in all of the group. Otherwise, the power indicator no-longer shows if the load is powered.

by jayace
on ‎01-02-2018 09:06 AM

Yes hurry up Wemo. I currenty have 4 wall plugs, 3 in wall switches and 1 in wall dimmer in my house. The other lights I want to control are all on 3 way switches. If you don't hurry up I will be switching all of my products over to Leviton. The price is the same but they at least have all the functionality I require. Im tired of waiting.  

by Sierratelecom
on ‎01-06-2018 10:56 AM

I agree - Elimiate the three way switch and just have the single switch. You do not need your smart phone. Just use the WeMo Skill for Amazon Echo services and use voice to turn on the light at all times.....From anywhere. Just have a few Echos spread around the house

by turnerfrisco
‎01-06-2018 10:46 PM - edited ‎01-06-2018 11:04 PM

If the switches could sense current flow, couldn’t you just replace one of the two switches and leave the other alone?  Is it more complicated than that?

For example, if the light is actually on but wemo thinks it is off, when I say Alexa off, invert the switch. If there’s no flow, done. If there’s still flow, invert again. 

With 3 way switches it seems like we are getting caught up with the state of the switch and not the state of the light. 

by turnerfrisco
on ‎01-06-2018 11:00 PM

Also you can’t use voice to turn on at all times if you don’t live alone. 

by SmartFamily
on ‎01-07-2018 05:16 AM

It has been interesting to follow the conversation - some have suggested using 2 x WEMO (a 2-pack on belkin site is listed at ~$95), and then perhaps the cloud or other means to put them in sync to act as a 3-way. 

This would seem relatively easy - to use a pair of WEMO for a 3-way circuit - with some non-trivial software changes. One WEMO actually controls the light, and the other one (solely powered from the traveler wire but not actually controlling the light) has software to slave itself with the first switch (it is then just a remote button). This is the $95 solution that could work with just a software change, and a bit more detail in the wiring instructions. This could in fact scale to 4-way circuits as well, at $50 per switch.

I had noted, as did many others, that I have a many 4-way circuits, and I'm not in favor replacing each of those with another $50 node...At that price-point I would likely not adopt the technology.

So, I still have in mind a latching SPDT relay, and current sense capability, and some more detailed wiring instructions - as a ~$60 switch.

by WEMO Maker Inventor
on ‎01-07-2018 08:26 AM

Something is needed - not having a working switch in each location is an electrical code violation and might open you to insurance issues.

It's certainly crazy to need $100 to change $5 worth of mechanical switches.  I use the mechanical in parallel with the smart switch approach myself.  A motion detector turns the lights on so the mechanical switch is seldom needed but it's always there.  The smart switch turns itself off after a while unless it was turned on manually (deliberately).

by coachday1
‎01-07-2018 05:48 PM - edited ‎01-07-2018 05:50 PM

So I have one Wemo dimmer switch and one regular wemo switch next to each other and Im just wondering if wemo has a double face plate and where I get it? Any help is appreciated.

by turnerfrisco
on ‎01-07-2018 08:11 PM

You can buy a double face plate at Home Depot for like 89 cents.  Any face plate will do as long as it's not metal.