WEMO Ideas

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

3-way switches

by coreymcl on ‎06-18-2014 01:29 PM

I for one have a number of light switches I would love to replace with WEMO's however the switches in question are 3-way. While I understand if the WEMO devices don't talk to each other, but neither do the analog switches I have today. Please consider adding 3 way switches this way your customer won't have to look at other products such as z-wave devices. 

Thanks for the consideration.

Comments
by jjelectricva
on ‎02-04-2015 04:25 PM

I have experimented with using a wemo light switch controlling a SPDT 120v coil relay, which is essentially the same as a 3 way switch. It works perfectly and maintains the functionallity of the other switch but the only issue is theres no way to tell if the light is off or on if youre not there. The wemo switch being off or on only changes the state of the relay and the position of the other switch determines if the light is on or not

by rockwell
on ‎04-18-2015 09:50 AM

Adding to the post by  GThielen ‎01-06-2015 08:53 AM - edited ‎01-06-2015 11:57 AM:  

I second this approach.  We need 3-way switches.  Take a look at the back of the GE switch that works with the 'Wink' system.  It has stab-in connnections and if you don't need the 3-way feature, you just don't connect it.  We need this so we don't have to set up a parallel network in the home (eg Wink, Iris, Nest).

by aaronjwinters
on ‎04-24-2015 07:43 PM
I have developed a 3 way switch manager to solve the problem with wemo switches in my home. It may be a little overkill to some, but essentially what I did is put wemo switches at each point, eliminating all standard switches. Then, I bought a mini pc (vensmile on Amazon). This pc is about the size of a cell phone and runs Windows 8.1. Then I wrote a program that polls all wemo devices on the network and allows you to make "groups" of devices. Then, whenever one device is turned on in the group, it turns all on, and if one is turned off in the group, it turns all off. I was unable to get the behavior I wanted with IFTTT because I need to maintain the groups' on/off state. If anyone is interested in this solution, let me know and I'll be happy to give it to you as well as explain in further detail. If anyone has discovered a better solution, please let me know as I'm eager to simplify the solution if possible.
by WEMO Maker Inventor
on ‎04-25-2015 07:01 AM

Elegant.  Since you asked, there are some other solutions mentioned earlier in this thread and elsewhere.

The easiest is to use the WemoLink and bulbs instead.  Leave the switches on all of the time and control it from the app (or trigger them by motion).  Toggle either manual switch to turn the bulbs on when needed.

Use only one wemo switch (or two if you've got deep pockets) and wire them in parallel.  If either switch is on the light is on, with both off the wemo can control the light from the app.  Wiring is a bit tricky but possible.

Elsewhere on this site there's a similar approach using a Wemo Maker for this.  A similar approach could use the Wemo Maker's replay to switch the load and use the original analog switches tied to the Wemo Maker's sensor to trigger the relay.  Use the app to control it remotely.

I like your approach since the switches continue to behave as they did originally, and if it's wired carefully either wemo switch can turn on the light even if the router is offline.  Using WemoManager and a $20 ZTE Zinger android phone in place of the windows system would be a way to save some time and money here too.  There are other solutions using PCs, Aurdinos or raspberryPi's that would work as well.

by cluigi
on ‎05-03-2015 09:13 AM
Over half of my light circuits are 3 way or even 4 or 5 way. Please design a set that can install with the 3 way runner wire incorporated.
by mlebowitz76
on ‎06-04-2015 07:01 AM

Waiting for an easy 3 way switch as well. Was hoping to use the bulbs and my Amazon Echo when it arrives next week, because using my voice would at least make it easy to turn on the light without pulling out a device, but I heard the bulbs are not compatible with Echo.

by wemofan168
on ‎07-25-2015 04:55 PM

MikeP, thanks for all your ideas here.  I too am a user trying to find the best way to use Wemo on 3-way switches.  So I plopped down and bought 2 wemo light switches while they were on sale on Amazon. Still expensive, but thought it's now or never.  So can you explain how to wire based on your comment:

"Use only one wemo switch (or two if you've got deep pockets) and wire them in parallel.  If either switch is on the light is on, with both off the wemo can control the light from the app.  Wiring is a bit tricky but possible."

A wiring diagram would be awesome.  Thanks!

by WEMO Maker Inventor
on ‎07-26-2015 07:45 AM

It's a bit tricky to draw a diagram as there's a number of alternate methods a 3-way switch can be wired, but I've got some more description and a pointer to the basic diagrams here: Wemo 3 ways.  If you've got two wemos there's a description for that setup near the bottom.

by wemofan168
on ‎07-28-2015 11:20 PM

Hi MikeP, thanks for the links.  I've been studying what you mean in text below, and for the life of me can't figure them out.  And I really tried and am usually pretty good with electrical.  So I have two Wemos, and would love to be able to install both and make it truly work.  I've attached pictures of both sides of my two switches.  Can you help explain a bit more the wiring?  Thanks so much.

Can use two Wemos in my 3 way circuit?

The important thing is to wire them so that either switch will always turn the light on.  Off is a little less critical.  Usually 3-way switches are wired with 4 conductor cable.  So with two wemos you find the side with the line in (power) and the side with the load.  Feed the "line in" white through to everything - wemos, traveller, load.  Feed the black "line in" to the "line in" side wemo (black), then down the traveler black to the remote wemo "line in" (black).  Feed the "load out" from both wemos to the traveler red and on the load side to the "load in" black.  Confirm the grounds (green) are all connected properly.

Now both wemos are powered by black/white.  If either wemo is on power will flow through the load (from the remote wemo it'll come through the red).  Both must be off for the light to be off - you can do this with the rule engine.

SWITCH 1 SIDE A
IMG_6209.JPG

SWITCH 1 SIDE B
IMG_6209.JPG

SWITCH 2 SIDE A
IMG_6216.JPG

SWITCH 2 SIDE B
IMG_6217.JPG
by WEMO Maker Inventor
on ‎07-29-2015 08:27 PM

To be honest I'm a little reluctant 'cause I don't want to be the cause of anything bad happening if you or I make a mistake. That general description should be enough to get going if you understand which of the 9 options apply to your situation - and if you misunderstand which option applies result will be self evident (as in dangerously bad)...

If you can't figure out which option applies to your switches please consult with an electrician (I am NOT an electrician) who should understand the concept and can verify that it complies with the electrical code in your area.

It'll look something like this: 

schemeit-project (2).png