WEMO Ideas

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

3-way switches

by coreymcl on ‎06-18-2014 01:29 PM

I for one have a number of light switches I would love to replace with WEMO's however the switches in question are 3-way. While I understand if the WEMO devices don't talk to each other, but neither do the analog switches I have today. Please consider adding 3 way switches this way your customer won't have to look at other products such as z-wave devices. 

Thanks for the consideration.

Comments
by fstbusa
‎12-01-2015 07:18 AM - edited ‎12-01-2015 10:43 AM

I've read through the entire thread.  I'm fairly mechanically inclined and have done some wiring of basic circuits including a couple 3-way circuits...

My question is with the vast number of ways to wire a 3-way circuit, what would be the easiest way of figuring out an existing (3-way) wiring scheme?  All I have for tools are the basics and a voltage meter.

Sounds like I may need to get or borrow a continuity tester.

by MikeF
on ‎01-03-2016 03:50 PM

I got some wimo switches and light switch for Christmas to replace some intermittant x-10. I have  a large home with many 2/3/4 way switches. My plan was to gradually convert to another technolgy that was wifi compliant but without 2/3 way switches WeMo is not the one. This is a deal breaker for me.

Mike Forrest

by ericgtr
on ‎01-20-2016 08:28 AM

For our 3 way for our stairs, I setup the wemo light switch on the bottom of the stairs (no changes to the other switch at the top) and we have a wemo motion at the top of the steps, I then set the timer for the light switch to automatically shut off after 5 minutes. Not a wiring solution but it serves its purpose and we have lights coming and going.

by thoth200
on ‎02-02-2016 11:33 AM
Why could you not install the wemo light switch on one of the locations and then just but a WiFi enabled button on the 2nd location? So you still have a "switch" in both places but when is the real switch the other is just a button to tell the other switch to turn on though WiFi?
by WEMO Maker Inventor
on ‎02-02-2016 11:55 AM

Mostly 'cause that would violate the electrical code, but also 'cause the necessary wiring isn't always available in both switch boxes.  If you read through the posts you'll find the idea of using two wemo switches - just don't connect the relay on the 2nd switch and it's exactly what you're suggesting.  Just a bit pricey...

by ChrisP
‎03-17-2016 06:59 PM - edited ‎03-17-2016 07:25 PM

Good evening all.

My Wemo switches came in today. I'm attempting the 3-way option and plan on using two Wemo switches alone. One at the top of the stairs and another at the bottom. I'm having some difficulty determining exactly how to wire the Wemo switches based on what I have already.

I've determined that my setup is #5 as shown at the link below based off physically looking at both old switches. I definitely have white as hot coming into the box which is also twisted and connected to the black wire.

5.jpg

Bottom of Steps

Top of Steps - White is HOT

What would be the correct way to wire these two devices?

Thanks in advance!

by Odji
on ‎05-12-2016 09:36 AM
Can you use wemo bulb in a socket labeled 150watts max 3-way type A bulb
by Tinkgore
on ‎05-18-2016 05:43 AM
Do Wemo bulbs work with lamps with three way switch?
by Popt
on ‎10-25-2016 11:48 AM

I hope someone can confirm my thoughts here. It seems you are able to use a Wemo switch IF you are willing to LEAVE the other wall switch in the on position. Correct?

My home was wired with a dedicated Christmas light switches. One switch is at the formal front door and the other in the garage. These swithes only control 2 power plug in boxes on opposite sides of the house that are only used for Christmas lights. I am assuming that I can put in a Wemo switch at the front entry position, tape the garage switch to the "On" position and the this would work fine for the holdays.  Please advise and many thanks to all!

by smith2019
on ‎10-30-2016 01:06 PM

The lack of a 3-way switch is killing me.  I have no desire to mix and match solutions.  It seems to me that the solution is the one presented earlier and that is Wemo needs to sell a "pair" (or more) of switches that are designed to replace a three-way switch setup.  Thus, you pony up around $90 to replace a couple of three-way switches.