WEMO Ideas

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

3-way switches

by coreymcl on ‎06-18-2014 01:29 PM

I for one have a number of light switches I would love to replace with WEMO's however the switches in question are 3-way. While I understand if the WEMO devices don't talk to each other, but neither do the analog switches I have today. Please consider adding 3 way switches this way your customer won't have to look at other products such as z-wave devices. 

Thanks for the consideration.

Comments
by WEMO Maker Inventor
on ‎05-27-2017 04:57 AM

You mean advice different from what I provided in the link above?  I use that and it works fine.  What you've described won't work - you really should understand how your existing wiring works before you change it.

by ZachAttack
on ‎05-27-2017 06:11 AM
Hey MikeP! I've read over you site a number of times and tried to comprehend the diagrams... Thought I had honestly, but I guess I'm out of my league here. Thanks for letting me know it won't work that way.
by WEMO Maker Inventor
on ‎05-27-2017 07:06 AM

It can be a bit tricky.   Drawing out a general 3-way switch (top in the diagram on that page) and tracing the current paths to figure out how it works can help.  Then you need to figure out which type of wiring you have.  Most times it's the right hand side of that diagram but it's important to confirm.

Next step is to figure out which incoming wires are the line (power) and which go to the load (light) in your wiring.

Once you have that you can change it to match the correct wiring, probably the middle diagram right hand side.  It's ok to move the load/line or location of the smart switch to the other box as long as you have the white, black, and red (from the same wire bundle) in both.

by dhstarr
‎05-31-2017 06:36 AM - edited ‎05-31-2017 06:41 AM

iDevices makes a three way wifi switch Echo/Alexa compatible.  But, it is $99.95 on Amazon and it takes two to work properly. 

iDevices 3-Way on Amazon