WEMO Ideas

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

3-way switches

by coreymcl on ‎06-18-2014 01:29 PM

I for one have a number of light switches I would love to replace with WEMO's however the switches in question are 3-way. While I understand if the WEMO devices don't talk to each other, but neither do the analog switches I have today. Please consider adding 3 way switches this way your customer won't have to look at other products such as z-wave devices. 

Thanks for the consideration.

by WEMO Maker Inventor
on ‎05-27-2017 04:57 AM

You mean advice different from what I provided in the link above?  I use that and it works fine.  What you've described won't work - you really should understand how your existing wiring works before you change it.

by ZachAttack
on ‎05-27-2017 06:11 AM
Hey MikeP! I've read over you site a number of times and tried to comprehend the diagrams... Thought I had honestly, but I guess I'm out of my league here. Thanks for letting me know it won't work that way.
by WEMO Maker Inventor
on ‎05-27-2017 07:06 AM

It can be a bit tricky.   Drawing out a general 3-way switch (top in the diagram on that page) and tracing the current paths to figure out how it works can help.  Then you need to figure out which type of wiring you have.  Most times it's the right hand side of that diagram but it's important to confirm.

Next step is to figure out which incoming wires are the line (power) and which go to the load (light) in your wiring.

Once you have that you can change it to match the correct wiring, probably the middle diagram right hand side.  It's ok to move the load/line or location of the smart switch to the other box as long as you have the white, black, and red (from the same wire bundle) in both.

by dhstarr
‎05-31-2017 06:36 AM - edited ‎05-31-2017 06:41 AM

iDevices makes a three way wifi switch Echo/Alexa compatible.  But, it is $99.95 on Amazon and it takes two to work properly. 

iDevices 3-Way on Amazon

by bookeeman
on ‎10-06-2017 12:43 AM

Shame on Belkin. I installed a GE SunSmart digital timer switch many years ago, long before the IoT thing. It is basically a WEMO switch minus the WiFi/IoT but it can be used for both single pole and 3-way applications. It has one more wire (traveler) than WEMO switch and can sense if the other switch is on or off and shows correct on/off status of the load on its LCD display.

If GE can make a cheap ($16) timer switch work in both applications so many years ago, no reason Belkin cannot do it. Additional cost should be minimum, just add one more wire and change the internal relay from single-pole-single-throw to single-pole-double-throw. Shame on Belkin after almost 3 years.

by Jay777
on ‎10-29-2017 09:04 AM

I haven't read the entire thread, but from what I have been seeing is that people think you need a wemo switch at every point on the switch circuit. Really, all you should need is a wemo switch with a from-c contact at one end of the circuit. All other switches can be conventional 3-way, even 4-way switches, to facilitate manual operation. The only problem is making sure there is a neutral at the switch and that the power is not fed to the light and is only dropping a switch leg. I don't see why wemo can't make a switch with a from-c contact. I mean, they can make a dimmer, isn't that more difficult.

by WEMO Maker Inventor
on ‎10-29-2017 10:21 AM

Why they don't do it is something they should answer, but there are a couple of reasons it's more difficult, not the least of which is there's a number of different ways it can be wired.  First, you need access to line in and neutral where you install the smart switch as it needs to be powered.  Then you need access to the load wire.  That makes installing it tricky.  Next is the decision whether to let the other switches control the load or just signal intent.  The former is tricky cause the smart switch won't know if the load is on or off and can only toggle, while the latter is a different beast altogether (though certainly possible) and probably needs wiring changes.

But it is certainly possible to wire a single smart switch in parallel with the other "dumb" switch.  Turning the dumb switch on always turns on the light but it needs to be turned off at that switch.  The smart switch turns it on/off on request if the dumb switch is off.  Again, wiring changes are needed, you can see how on my site: 3 way switches.  I think it's reasonable to warn that this should only be attempted by someone who understands the wiring diagrams...

by Knickle
on ‎11-23-2017 07:36 PM
I too would love to replace some 3 way switches with WeMo.
by SmartFamily
on ‎11-25-2017 07:16 PM

Like others, of the perhaps a hundred switches in my home, about half are part of 3-way (and many 4-way) circuits. So, WeMo, as is, is a hobby project. With a 3-way version, it becomes a solution that professionals might consider (IMHO).

There are many ways to wire 3-way circuits, and it may not be usable in all installations (where both the hot and neutral are not available). But I propose the following concepts, and I think a simple procedure could be documented to determine which switches could be replaced with a New 3-Way concept.

Basic Concept

Alternate Wiring

I sure hope something like this is already "in the lab" and nearing production.

by hlclark78
on ‎12-01-2017 04:11 AM
+1 for 3-way. GE and Lurton have 3 way switch with option traveler. It's really lame Wemo does not have this functionality.