WEMO Ideas

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
0 Kudos

Can Wemo bypass Homekit?

by CITRUS on ‎11-26-2018 11:58 AM

Dear Friends in the Wemo Community,

I have this situation:  Three industrial outbuildings, they all have separate locations and wireless networks.

Can I install the Wemo switches to turn on lamps WITHOUT using Homekit on my iphone?

My reasoning:  No Apple TV, no smart hub, no homepod.

I just want to connect the Wemo's using my iphone and manage them  all in one user interface without Homekit.

Or, since I own an iPhone, am I forced to use Homekit?  And if so how do I program rules and schedules without AppleTV and Homepod?

Thank you,

Alex in Toledo

Comments
by Falconers
on ‎11-26-2018 06:07 PM
You can use the Wemo app without HomeKit.
by CITRUS
on ‎11-27-2018 05:58 AM
Excellent, So..... what I think I hear you saying is: a.) I can install WeMo's using my Iphone AND, b.) I will not automatically be transferred to Homekit to install the devices, c.) and that Wemo will ask me if I want to bypass Homekit, d.) and that I can manage, for example, ten different wemo smart plugs at three locations, all having different wireless networks, e.) and I can log in to each wemo to schedule from a consolidated user interface using the wemo app on my iphone. That is awesome. I sounds like wemo has their act together. Does anyone else have any experience with wemo to suggest otherwise?
by WEMO Maker Inventor
on ‎11-27-2018 08:29 AM

Falconer's is right, you can use wemo without homekit.

BUT, because you have 3 locations wemo is probably not a good fit for you - belkin's app only supports one location per phone.

by CITRUS
on ‎11-27-2018 10:47 AM
Only one location per phone. Hmmm.... that's a shame. That means I can't use wemo with an my unattached garage or barn. They are on separate wireless routers. Someone emailed me and said I could use a achieve what I'm looking for with TP-Link. They have smart plugs that you can link using a cloud based/ browser based system. I'll look into it. Thanks for the update Folks. Have a good week, Alex