WEMO Ideas

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Can wemo light switch control wemo plug

by caguy ‎03-15-2015 08:17 PM - edited ‎03-15-2015 08:21 PM

Hi.  I have a few switches already.  I just purchased the plug.  I was hoping to use a wemo light switch to turn the wemo plug on and off.  Is this possible?  I don't see anything in the rules to set this up.

Comments
by WEMO Maker Inventor
‎04-11-2015 03:18 PM - edited ‎04-11-2015 03:23 PM

This should be basic functionality, and i'm also surprised that after so long, it's not the case.

Hooking a light switch to existing power is easy. Having it control a lamp in the room via a plug switch would be ideal.

Also long-press functionality should also be accessible from within the app. One could hide plug switches from the main list, to avoid double-ups.

Essentially, the best way to do this would be to group them, so that whenever either one was turned on, both were turned on. That way, you could also use a light switch to control multiple outlets -- as well as having wemo motion trigger multiple switches.

Groups could appear on the main interface with the edit button allowing you to add/remove switches from that group.

by cbknapp56
on ‎04-28-2015 05:28 PM
I use the free IFTTT.com to communicate from a Wemo light switch to control many Wemo plug-in switches. It is not super fast and sometimes the communication from the Wemo light switch gets delayed on the web. You can also use a third party app called WemoManager on an Android smartphone to trigger Wemo devices. I use this app to instantly turn on all 16 Wemo lights and flashes the outdoor Wemo lights from one Wemo light switch next to my bed. Now with my Amazon Echo I can say turn panic light and it triggers all my lights and flashes all outdoor security lights. If you do not have an Android phone you can use a $20 contract phone from Walmart to load the WemoManager app. Then instead of using the phone on a cell service use the phone as controller and server off your home WiFi. Heck if you have a MagicJack you can use this phone/controller to make calls over your WiFi.
by Inlined
on ‎02-17-2016 12:29 AM
+1. This kills the whole reason I bought my Wemo equipment. It sounds like false advertising honestly to say on the light switch website that it integrates piecemeal with the other components even though the app has no way to connect the switch to other devices.

8s for IFTTT is far too slow. Is it possible to handle the events in my own server? Would that make it faster or is the IFTTT bottleneck in Belkin's cloud?
by juliand
on ‎12-05-2017 12:08 PM

Add a long press rule - you can control multiple other devices, and because it's not using the IFTTT network, it's faster (assume it's still using the wemo cloud, so probably won't work if you're offline.