WEMO Ideas

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
0 Kudos

Don't censor posts critical of your support service and practices

by WEMO Maker Inventor on ‎05-16-2018 11:29 AM

Here's an idea: don't censor posts critical of your support service and practices.  Focus instead on fixing those poor and misleading practices.

I've already spent too much money on these devices, you'll not be getting another cent out of me until you sort out your existing problems.

There are quite a few good (as in we've spent a lot of money on wemo devices) but unhappy customers here.  Censoring us by deleting posts with no warning or indication just because they are critical is a disservice - you should learn from them instead.

I'm curious - is this censoring practice advocated by belkin, or is it unilateral by the 3rd party that's providing support?

Does this practice also apply to the reviews left on your shopping site by your customers, are they questionable as well?

I will be pointing out on other independent IoT communities that you censor posts and reviews.  Including a screen shot of this one before it disappears.

Comments
by Community Manager
on ‎05-16-2018 12:52 PM

Hi Mike,

I found out that it was the automated spam filtering system in the community that did this by mistake. I have sent you a private message with more details.

If you or any other user notice the same in the future, do not hesitate to send me a pm and I will look into it.

Best,

Vince

by PeterJameson
on ‎05-16-2018 04:02 PM

Why is it always a private message Vince?

Surely your findings should be public for all to see?

I don't expect a reply, so perhaps Mike will copy your "pm" and paste it here.

Regards

Pete

by airmandan
on ‎05-16-2018 06:35 PM
“Vince,” the only thing this forum should auto-trash as spam are the support posts by the moderators.
by WEMO Maker Inventor
on ‎05-16-2018 06:39 PM

Thanks Pete and Vince.  Vince's response was excellent, even showing me the post caught in the spam filter.  Basically the same as he's said here and reaffirming that they do not censor posts which I do appreciate.

It'd be handy to know the filter criteria so that we could avoid it, but for me the issue is closed - both this and my other post having been restored.

by airmandan
on ‎05-16-2018 07:03 PM
Well, great. I guess we can continue to get no support for their abandoned products on a forum staffed by nontechnical automatons.
by WEMO Maker Inventor
on ‎05-16-2018 07:09 PM

LOL.  To be fair an open forum is (IMHO) a competitive advantage over TP Link who's community is more restricted.

by Community Manager
on ‎05-17-2018 08:03 AM

@PeterJameson I do not always address issues via pm. It was just that his report made it to me directly so I figured I'd address @MikeP directly via pm as well. Nothing to hide really. The more details I mentioned was simply a screenshot of the system log with the error. I am posting my message here for all to see.

system spam.jpg

by Community Manager
‎05-17-2018 08:20 AM - edited ‎05-17-2018 08:53 AM

@airmandan I hear you. I am constantly working with the team to improve the support experience that you guys should have. Please bear with us on this.

@MikeP The filter criteria is based on previously marked spam posts by the moderators together with the spam keyword filters we have defined. This is how the system automation learns which posts to tag as spam. Though based from experience, such automation is not always 100% accurate. Our community provider admitted this as well. What we can do is for me and my team to review the system spam quarantine section daily to see if there are posts mistakenly tagged as spam and restore them. It may not be the ideal setup but I'd rather have it this way than disable the automation and be bombarded by spam which is much more difficult to deal with.

by PeterJameson
on ‎05-17-2018 11:16 AM

@Vince_02

Thank you for the enlightenment. It is really good and refreshing to have such informative dialogue.

Regards

Pete

by airmandan
on ‎05-17-2018 08:13 PM
Vince, I appreciate the update. At the same time, this thread is literally the first time in over a year I’ve had any inclination that the forum staff is, in honesty and with apologies, literate. It’s bad to the point where when I opened this thread, I expected a moderator to have asked Mike to change his WiFi channel and reinstall the app before posting again.

How did it get that bad? What are you doing to fix it? When will Belkin address the ongoing hardware and software issues with these products?

I am able to keep my WeMo ecosystem in reasonable working order because I work in IT. I have tried to give people WeMo gifts on three separate occasions now. After a couple weeks, they all were returned to me with appreciative apologies.