WEMO Ideas

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
0 Kudos

Making the place 'look lived in'

by codepoet on ‎02-16-2017 02:51 PM

to control Wemo switches, in the Wemo App, it would be *very* convient in the rules to say "on at 6pm +/- random 0-15 min", off at "11pm +/- random 0-15 min"

that way, the house would apear more 'lived in' than 'scheduled'

if the switches can't handle randomness, then the app could simply 'update each day with a new value as it passes'

so, with one setting, i could set "Mon/Tue/Wed/Thu/Fri" on @ 6:00pm +/- 0:15, off @ 11:00pm +/- 0:15

and I may get

M: on 6:08 off 10:55

T:  on 5:55 off 11:15

W: on 6:01 off 10:48

Th: on 6:10 off 10:58

F: on 5:49 off 11:05

M: on 5:51 off 10:52

etc.

Comments
by PeterJameson
‎02-17-2017 09:40 AM - edited ‎02-17-2017 11:29 AM

Hi codepoet

Have you checked out the WeMo "away" rule? I think it does much if what you're suggesting. 

Regards

Pete

** Always kudo people who help you and mark their reply as the solution if they resolve your problem! **

by slowcar2489
on ‎05-05-2017 09:13 PM

I noticed this random option has been requested by many people during the last two years. Is Belkin working on the implementation of such an option?

It was available 30 years ago on my Radio Shack Light Control System. I'm surprised it's not yet available in 2017 on Wemo switches. Nobody should have to create seven rules, one for each day, to do the same thing.

by WEMO Maker Inventor
on ‎05-06-2017 08:37 AM

Belkin has basic "away" support as Peter mentioned.  If you need something with a richer capability you'll need an aftermarket app.

by slowcar2489
on ‎05-24-2017 10:50 AM

Hi MikeP,

The "away" support is not what we are talking about here. The "away" support will turn on and off all your devices in a random fashion. Here, we are talking about a random option that would make a fixed "on or off" time in a rule definition a random time, as explained in codepoet comment.

by WEMO Maker Inventor
on ‎05-24-2017 11:00 AM

Sure, as I said, you need an aftermarket app for that.  AutomationManager does both of codepoet's requests quite easily.

by slowcar2489
on ‎05-25-2017 07:08 PM

MikeP, you are only promoting your app at $8.99. My point of view is that Belkin software developpers should add this functionality to the WeMo app because it has been requested by users for more than two years. We pay for the development of the firmware and the software everytime we buy a WeMo device. WeMo users should not have to pay for an aftermarket app to get missing functionality. It is Belkin responsibility to improve its app to meet users' needs.

by WEMO Maker Inventor
on ‎05-25-2017 10:02 PM

MikeP, you are only promoting your app

Well that's not really true, I provide advice in many instances, only mentioning my app when it's relevant.  I didn't comment on the original idea here, I offered a solution as you sounded a little frustrated.  And in this particular case I feel my implementation of this is superior to the other vendors.  But YMMV.

add this functionality to the WeMo app because it has been requested by users

Belkin has neither advertised nor promised more than their existing away feature.  Is it reasonable to expect/insist they add more?  Reality is that very few of the ideas here have been implemented, and there's usually quite a delay before they show up.

WeMo users should not have to pay for an aftermarket app to get missing functionality.

That's one way to look at it, esp if you feel they misled you.  Another is: if you bought a car and wanted to add an upgrade later you'd probably go aftermarket rather than insisting the dealer to give it to you for free.  Same choice here - you can wait and hope, or you can spend a bit more to get what you need.  Again, YMMV.