WEMO Ideas

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Open Source the Firmware!

by bschonec on ‎05-13-2015 09:43 AM

You'd have thousands of developers almost overnight if you open sourced the firmware.  Look at all of the companies out there that are doing just FINE with open source.  Red Hat, PuppetLabs, Ubuntu.  Belkin, you make the hardware and let the hacking community make the best firmware possible.

Comments
by davemclaughlin
on ‎05-22-2015 08:10 PM

Best idea yet. The hardware looks good but it lacks in the firmware stability and features and if this was open source, the users would benefit and the positive comments and word of mouth would lead to more sales for Belkin. A win-win situation.

by alexrodriguez
on ‎05-26-2015 05:47 AM

From a business standpoint I dont see any benefit for Belken to do this. Seems like a very poor idea to me.

by laith_said
on ‎06-23-2015 01:31 PM

I would think different. From business prespective, Belken will never get profit on software. Make it open and let the people develope SW for the HW.

Currently, Belken do the devices and the mobile app. But we already miss a server that can connect and control all these devices together in a way that gives a real full house automation. It is smart to control things via the mobile device, but not everything shall be configured and controlled from the mobile device.

by ericyanush
on ‎07-29-2015 01:57 PM
I haven't seen any available licenses for the new firmware, despite being seemingly based on OpenWRT.
by martiniturbide
on ‎09-07-2015 04:15 PM

Hi

It is a great idea to open source the firmware of the devices.

What will happen to this "cloud exclusive" device in a few years when Belkin wants to sell the new ones and will not be able to give good support to the older ones?

It is better to open source the firmware and have a chance for the community to create newer and custom versions of the firmware of this devices.

Regards.

by wamra
on ‎10-11-2015 06:40 AM

Belkin, you should learn something from the Blackberry saga. They are on the verge of bankruptcy and total dissolution because they didn't open their BBM to the world.

Trying to control hardware sales through locked bad software, is a horrendous idea!!! 

If Blackberry would have opened their BBM EARLIER to other providers/phones.

1. They would have maintained their existing blackberry users customer base. They are currently bleeding large corp clients like never before; hence, their desperate attempt to buy GOOD software.

2. They would have grew their # of users on other platforms, which eventualy could have meant new (other) ==> blackberry conversions based on loyalty and good service instead of the caging model

3. They were years ahead of current messaging apps. They could have had the combined value of; Whatsapp, Viber, Facebook messanger, WeChat, Line.... etc....

Your locked software model is sooooooo 1990s & Microsoft style ! Focus on what you do good, open your business to the world for innovations!