WEMO Ideas

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

PRIVACY CONCERN - MULTIPLE FEEDS NOT MINE

by sorensen on ‎12-07-2016 07:48 PM

First time using the NetCam HD, logged on and can see 2 extra feeds that are not mine!!! Does this mean these 2 strangers can also see my feed???? VERY CONCERNED as privacy is at stake. Help???

Comments
by Pieman
on ‎12-08-2016 12:14 AM
Similar issue. I have 4 insight switches. Last night my app showed two extra devices, they appeared to be thermostats. They had somebody else's names and I had full control. Today they are gone, but my switches have been going bonkers, turning on and off randomly as if somebody else were controlling them. My Christmas tree has been turned on/off about 40 times today. My other lights are doing the same, sometimes at the same time, other times by themselves. It seems like something's mixed up in their database. If I were you I'd disconnect your cams immediately until this is fixed. Thankfully I just have my wemo devices attached to lights, but our privacy is 100% compromised.
by Iananbrown
on ‎04-17-2017 09:33 AM
Hi pieman.
Someone else is controlling your wemo switches but you can easily removed them from this control.
Anyone with a wemo app and who onced accessed your router password can now control your wemo switch remotely from anywhere using any other wifi or mobile data.

To see or deactivate any other person from controlling your wemo devices.....
go to settings Then remote access then at the bottom you eill see a list of users deactivate as you wish
by WEMO Maker Inventor
on ‎04-17-2017 10:55 AM

I think you may have missed the concern here.  It's not a question of how to use the app, or how to remove access was previously granted.  It's that remote access is available to someone to whom it was never granted.

So the question becomes: if belkin has a bug in their cloud security that arbitrarily allowed someone remote access, why trust in the code that disables them too?  Or even that those users will show up in the list to be disabled?

And the answer is simple - any delegation to a service that you do not directly control puts you at risk: to bugs in the owner's code, to malicious intent by the owners, or to the owners themselves being hacked.