WEMO Ideas

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
0 Kudos

Possible bluetooth wireless capability for firmware updates along with Wifi?

by dbadev on ‎12-06-2014 10:44 AM

I have a set of Wemo switches for my cable modem, wifi router and vonage phone hub in order to make it easy to restart the devices when the cable acts up (I have Optimum from Cablevision and it seems that every once in a while their modem needs a restart).

I have issues with the switches when I have to install a firmware upgrade as they need to download the firmware and then restart which because they use Wifi, can't complete the process properly.    As a workaround, I attach the cable modem and the wifi router to a power strip when doing the upgrades.

Could it be possible to create a new version of the switch that uses bluetooth for firmware updates?  e.g. Stage the firmware on my iPhone and then apply the firmware in a point-to-point manner instead of having the switch pull it over the wifi network.

Also it would be nice to have the ability to operate the switch from a secondary wireless network in case Wifi is down...

or...Alternatively use the Wifi peer 2 peer functionality (similar to what Apple is using in its AirDrop technology) so that I can still operate the switch and update it without having a full Wifi network hosted from a router.

Comments
by jims32
‎05-10-2015 08:12 AM - edited ‎05-30-2015 09:58 AM

I would like to suggest that the Wemo app have an option that the user can choose what switch(es) to update. Maybe put a checkbox next to the device(s) in the list. Currently the user can only command when to update all devices.

Example: I have a switch connected to a cable modem and another switch connnected to a wifi router. I choose to update the firmware only on the cable modem. Once I see that the cable modem has been updated and restarted I then choose to update the firmware on the wifi router. All the switches that do not impact internet connectivity I want to command an update to all of them at the same time.

Updating in sequence will allow each wemo device being updated to eventually see the internet again.