WEMO Ideas

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
0 Kudos

Really basic question

by Socrates on ‎01-28-2017 08:15 AM

Right now I have a mechanical timer that I have to frequently adjust because of changinging sunset times.  The problem is that it's in a bad location and it's difficult reaching the timer.  Basically, the adjustment is a PIA.

I'm interested in purchasing ONE WeMo switch (probably the mini) to replace the mechanical timer.  That way, I can do the adjustments without knocking over tables and lamps.  I have an iPhone-7 and, of course, a WiFi system.  I do not have anything to use as a hub and I can't justify the expense of a hub simply to support one switch.

I tried the iDevices switch and, without a hub, the only thing that I could do was basic ON and OFF.  I was completely unable to set any automatic functions.

Will the WeMo switch do the job for me?  Ideally, I would do a "ON at sunset and OFF at midnight" and then I'd never have to adjust it.  However, I can live with basic on/off timing that I'd have to change periodically.  Again, remember NO hub!

Comments
by Socrates
‎01-28-2017 08:17 AM - edited ‎01-28-2017 08:19 AM

I'm adding this only because I forgot to check the "email box" when I originally posted.

by Bbeyer
on ‎01-28-2017 11:18 AM
Yes it can do what you want. Several options with both sunrise and sunset +/- xx minutes and can turn off at a predetermined time. I'm doing it now with front porch lights (switch) and lamp (smart plug).
by Socrates
on ‎01-28-2017 11:21 AM
Hey, thanks. Since there is no hub, do you know where the parameters are stored?
by Bbeyer
on ‎01-28-2017 11:27 AM
I have heard some from the forum have said they are stored in the Wemo. However, when I asked the question- how does the Wemo know sunset/sunrise times without the internet; I didn't get any responses. Maybe someone else can clarify.
Just make sure the location of the smart plug has a good internet signal from your router. My 2 units have operated flawlessly; unlike some member's comments. Even with several updates.
by Socrates
on ‎01-28-2017 11:30 AM
Thanks again. I've heard reference to a WeMo cloud. My WAG is that the storage is there. That would explain the need for the good router connection that you mentioned. Fortunately, I will have a good connection.
by WEMO Maker Inventor
on ‎01-28-2017 11:38 AM

When the app, the wemo, and the belkin cloud are working properly the rules are stored and operated in each of the wemos that run them.  The wemos will synchronize their time with the belkin cloud servers occasionally, not sure how often.  I believe (based on the last time I examined their rule DB schema)  the wemos ask the cloud servers for updated sunrise/sunset times weekly.  If denied internet access for any significant length of time the wemo internal clocks drift.  If there's an internet or belkin cloud outage longer than a week the sunrise/sunset times will stop following the sun.

by Bbeyer
on ‎01-28-2017 11:44 AM
Great explanation. Thanks for clarifying.
by Socrates
on ‎01-28-2017 11:45 AM
Thanks. That makes sense. I'll likely pick up the switch in a few days. Now I'm getting into real intellectual curiosity. Sounds like, in the event of a lengthy loss of Internet access, the switch WILL still function properly except for incorrect sunrise/sunset times and possible clock drift.
by Bbeyer
on ‎01-28-2017 11:47 AM
Thanks sounds accurate based on Mike's comment and others from the forum.
by Socrates
on ‎01-28-2017 11:48 AM
I'm getting more and more confidence in the product. Thanks again for your help.