WEMO Ideas

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

WHAT HAPPENS AFTER A POWER OUTAGE ? IS WEMO RELIABLE WHEN YOU HAVE IT AT YOUR VACATION HOME ?

by rsharma56 on ‎08-17-2016 12:26 PM

I had a power outage at my vacation home, and I can not controll the lights any more and my neighbour informed me that my lights have been turned on continously for the last 3 days. How can I resolve the problem and get them to turn off ? Or do I have to go on a vacation to turn them off ? 

Comments
by acarmona47
on ‎09-06-2016 08:51 AM

Seems like your router and light switch do not sync up once power is restored. If you are not able to remote login into your router to reset or power cycle it. Add a WEMO power outlet to your router and you would be able to restart it remotely with WEMO software, once restarted your light switch should be able to connect once again to the network. Let me know if I can be of further assistance. @

by WEMO Maker Inventor
on ‎09-06-2016 09:13 AM

Um, no, the correct answer is "you have to go on vacation to turn them off".  The router probably changed wifi  channels when it restarted and the link can't find it due to a wemo firmware bug.

And no, you can't use a wemo to power cycle your router 'cause the wemo needs a wifi connection to work.  If the router isn't working you can't turn off the wemo, and if the router is working 1) you don't need the wemo, and 2) if you did turn of the wemo you couldn't turn it back on 'cause there'd be no wifi.

by WEMO Maker Inventor
on ‎09-06-2016 09:16 AM

Forgot one:  3) if there's a power outage your wifi (and wemo) would never come back because wemos default off after an outage.

by Jon
on ‎09-06-2016 09:33 AM
I'm thinking if you plug your Wi-Fi router into a cheap uninterruptible power supply (ups) it might be way more likely to reconnect. Worth a shot for you guys that have to drive a few hours to reset everything.
by WEMO Maker Inventor
on ‎09-06-2016 10:57 AM

Perhaps.  IMO it makes more sense for belkin to focus on fixing the bugs rather than recommend investing in additional hardware as workarounds.

by Stevescotland
‎09-21-2016 07:07 AM - edited ‎09-21-2016 07:07 AM

Simple timer switch, turn your router off for its shortest period, 5 mins for a mechanical or 1 min for an electronic.

set it to turn your router off once or twice a week, if anything fails, hopefully the reboot will cure it.

probably cost $10-20

by Jon
on ‎09-21-2016 02:18 PM
Once mine fails! Not any kind of router reboots will fix it. Each WeMo switch has to be unplugged and replugged in. So I don't believe a timer would work. My idea would be better attempt at a fix for belkins firmware issue. UPS aren't too expensive around $39 for cheaper one , Black Friday last year I believe I saw one for 19.99 or 24.99. Also if you plug your router and modem into it you might not even lose Internet connection during an power outage, which would probably help your WeMo devices connect when the power comes back on.

Mike is right this should be fixed on belkins side

Also I'm not a 100% sure a UPS works either I never tried it.
by jryker32
on ‎09-22-2016 05:43 PM
I lost my led light while I was 400 miles from home, like an idiot I deleted that app like the help page suggested. Now I have nothing till I go home. Home when your not home I think not!
by kittiekate
on ‎09-29-2016 04:48 AM

Hmmm yes I find this very interesting

by JeffChen
on ‎09-29-2016 08:31 AM
Plug your modem into a wemo socket, set a rule to turn off power for 1 min then back on, repeat everyday. This way a power outage or modem error won't impact you for more than 24 hours.