WEMO Ideas

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

We want 3-way (multi-location switches)

by bholl on ‎12-23-2017 02:09 PM

It would be very helpful for WEMO to develop 3-way switches that can be used to control a single light from multiple locations.  I am surprised that WEMO does not already have this type of switch in its offerings.  The lack of 3- and 4-way light switches forces users including myself to other manufacturers.  Leviton has this functionality in their wifi capable switches.  Their switch can have up to 4 additional locations besides the main switch.  The other 4 locations require companion switches that are only about $27.95 each with the main 3-way costing about $45.00.  Please develop this if you are not already doing so.  If need be, purchase the Leviton Model DW15S-1BZ main switch and the DD0SR-DLZ companion switch and reverse engineer your own.

Comments
by rasman69
on ‎12-26-2017 09:40 AM

Could someone from WEMO let us know if they have plans to develop these switches or if we need to purchase other manufactor's products? 

by McQ
on ‎12-27-2017 09:59 AM

I agree 100%!

Most homes have 3-way switches.  

So while I'd like to stick with Wemo, I currently have no practical option to fill this need with Wemo. 

Even if a 3-way Wemo switch required a hub to support a Zigbee or Z-Wave protocol (which is normally the case), I'd still opt for that over mixing brands of light switches, which require multiple apps on my phone.

While Wemo's hubless approach is a GREAT way for new people to dip their toes into the Smarthome pool, ideally Wemo should allow its users to transition into a more-sophisticated Smarthome, with generally requires a hub.

by jayace
on ‎01-02-2018 09:03 AM

Yes hurry up Wemo. I currenty have 4 wall plugs, 3 in wall switches and 1 in wall dimmer in my house. The other lights I want to control are all on 3 way switches. If you don't hurry up I will be switching all of my products over to Leviton. The price is the same but they at least have all the functionality I require. Im tired of waiting.     

by daveydoo
on ‎01-02-2018 10:38 AM

I wish Belkin would at least acknowledge whether or not they plan to build a three-way switch. I'm almost at the point where I'm going to rip out all my Wemos and go with Leviton.

by SnoRydrBoy
on ‎01-07-2018 08:16 PM
Buy GE 14291 and a Samsung Smart things hub and you'll be set, also use Stringify to create flows.
by WEMO Maker Inventor
on ‎01-07-2018 11:43 PM

Geez, that's like $200 or more and you're still stuck depending on 2 or 3 cloud services just for a simple 3 way switch.  A much simpler solution is to wire one of the old 3 way switches as a 2 way in parallel to a smart switch, or use two smart switches and synchronize them with local automation.  Less expensive, more reliable, and more responsive.  You could do this with 2 wemo switches plus $40 for my app and a low end phone as an automation server and not be locked into samsung or GE or even belkin's cloud.

I agree with the OP, belkin is sorely lacking this feature.

by Camillionaire93
on ‎01-22-2018 01:20 AM
Yeah wemo needs to make 3 way switches already. Ive had multiple 3 way wemo switches set up with the home automation app and a cheap android phone like described above by MikeP. But I always had issues with it where my switches would continuously turn on and off cause they would get “stuck” or something and many times the app doesn’t turn on the other wemo switch. Luckily I have now fixed this using the new wemo bridge and an Apple TV. The rules Setup is pretty much just like the home automation app on Android but I have yet to have any issues using this method. So now I have stoped using the home automation app. You can also use an iPad that you have at home instead of an Apple TV. The android method is cheaper but if you are in the iOS ecosystem and have an Apple TV or iPad already I would just buy the new bridge, I got it for $26 since they offered a discount on it.
by WEMO Maker Inventor
on ‎01-22-2018 07:45 AM

Ugh, that's not supposed to happen, there's a "synchronize" rule that should keep them in sync without the cycling.

Sorry about that, good that you've got it sorted.

If anyone else has this problem, please contact me directly and I'll fix it.  And I mean I'll really fix it, not the standard belkin approach of "contact us offline so we can explain why it's your fault and not ours" Smiley Happy.  I'm not able to recreate it here but if I can get a log with the sequence I expect I could sort it pretty quickly.

Interesting - it sounds like with the bridge belkin is punting on their "hubless" approach to home atuomation...  TP Link has just released their own 3 way switch set that remains hubless and appears to work well, I guess that speaks (or confirms) volumes about belkin's technical skills Smiley Wink.

by WeMop2
on ‎01-29-2018 09:03 PM

@wrote:

It would be very helpful for WEMO to develop 3-way switches that can be used to control a single light from multiple locations.  I am surprised that WEMO does not already have this type of switch in its offerings.  The lack of 3- and 4-way light switches forces users including myself to other manufacturers.  Leviton has this functionality in their wifi capable switches.  Their switch can have up to 4 additional locations besides the main switch.  The other 4 locations require companion switches that are only about $27.95 each with the main 3-way costing about $45.00.  Please develop this if you are not already doing so.  If need be, purchase the Leviton Model DW15S-1BZ main switch and the DD0SR-DLZ companion switch and reverse engineer your own.

Better bet is this OP: No need for waiting, buggy apps, or workarounds. 

TP-Link Smart Wi-Fi Light Switch for 3-Way Lighting, No Hub Required, Works with Alexa and Google Assistant (HS210 KIT) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07724HNTX/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_sV.BAb4T4DDGV

by txmmoore
on ‎03-12-2018 10:12 AM

I too would like a 3-way switch.  But, since this does not seem to be a reality in the future, this is how I corrected this.  I took one of the 3-way switches out of the switch box, and connected the correct wires to allow power to always run to the other switch.  Once done, I place a blank switch plate over the electrical box and used the wemo switch to control the lights.  Works great.  Now, for those of you who have stairs and the "other" switch is at the bottom of the stair case, this is where your phone comes to play, or use a wemo dimmer so that at night the lights are always on.