WEMO Ideas

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

We want 3-way (multi-location switches)

by bholl on ‎12-23-2017 02:09 PM

It would be very helpful for WEMO to develop 3-way switches that can be used to control a single light from multiple locations.  I am surprised that WEMO does not already have this type of switch in its offerings.  The lack of 3- and 4-way light switches forces users including myself to other manufacturers.  Leviton has this functionality in their wifi capable switches.  Their switch can have up to 4 additional locations besides the main switch.  The other 4 locations require companion switches that are only about $27.95 each with the main 3-way costing about $45.00.  Please develop this if you are not already doing so.  If need be, purchase the Leviton Model DW15S-1BZ main switch and the DD0SR-DLZ companion switch and reverse engineer your own.

Comments
by WEMO Maker Inventor
on ‎03-12-2018 08:24 PM

Be careful as this isn't up to the electrical code - if there's an accident your insurance may not cover you.

It's probably better to wire that "unused" switch so it can always be used to turn the light on as I mentioned above.  Leave it off and leave it alone (except in an emergency).  Then you can connect the other smart switch in the conventional fashion by using the 14-3 wires between the switches - wire red to the load, and white and black connected to the line in.

More info and other ideas here:  https://sites.google.com/site/mppsuite/faq/wemomanager/wemofaq/wemo3ways.

by Interianoh
on ‎03-27-2018 08:38 PM
Same here
by tomatopicker
on ‎04-02-2018 08:45 AM
I got an electrician and make all those 3 ways switches to 1 way. And then installed all the smart switches and have an old tablet as the control and all of them connected to Alexa...
by accountingforme
on ‎04-05-2018 06:09 PM

I second the push for an acknowledgement from Belkin as to whether this is on their road map.  If I had known when I went down this road a year or so ago that Belkin would be holding out for so long I would have gone with TP Link.  Now the question I have is whether I double down and just live with 3-day switches and no automation or if I go to TP Link and slowly start transitioning my existing Belkin switches to TP Link.

by yuppyyoda
on ‎04-11-2018 07:10 PM

The only solution that was cost effective and application specific for my household was to go with an echo plus and Phillips hue, cree connected, commercial electric led retro zigbee down lights and wemo a19 bulbs. Average bulb cost for a basic on off dim bulb is 12.50 to 15.00 usd. I bypassed the use of my old wemo zigbee bridge because that device was lagging out my wemo app and I rely on the echo plus as a zigbee hub. Rules in the Amazon world are called routeens which takes care of my auto schedule on and off. Amazon has groups for devices so I went with groups for each room. This took care of the fixture with multiple bulbs issue when telling the house to turn off a room. Routeens can call on a group for easier management. It is very frustrating that wemo only has simple switches but if you divorce the issue and use what wemo offers for certain applions and other types of devices for other applications you may be able to pick up a better integration in the end with a more intuitive way to control the devices with minimal input devices. Basically the KISS theory. Now that the Foxconn thing happened it makes me nervous to rely on one vendor. I was put in a bad spot when my wemo link died and belkin dropped support for the entire line of devices. At the time I had somewhere in the neighborhood of 12 zigbee bulbs at the time. My house is just north of 40 zigbee bulbs now. The echo thing also allowed me to automate the television via voice control, water heater and nest thermostat on routeens rules so that I can dial back electric demand when we are not home, oil boiler control based on outside temp. Routeens also allowed for special routeens for daily activities like putting the kid to bed. One command can change state for every device that I have. Response times are a ton better than the wemo app and different technology types work in the group simultaneously to give an effect that the house is on a single system. This is what worked for my 1960's rancher but could also work for any house. Have fun with your system whatever it may be.