WEMO Ideas

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
0 Kudos

WeMo Android App

by wemoway on ‎12-03-2014 12:51 PM

So I picked up a couple of devices to run a coffee maker and christmas lights....

The Android app on the market was functional* but didn't run on my new version of Android (I think that's fixed now). Also I was looking for something that was a little easier to get started and use. 

So I built one and released it up on the market. You can click here to get it Google Play Store

Hopefully it is useful to other people but for me it provides a good platform to start integrating other features. I am looking at putting in an

• NFC reader (tapping a phone on a tag will turn on/off a device)
  • Tasker Integration (complicated IFTTT android app)
  • Android Wear integration (turn on/off lights from a watch!)
  • Cloud backup (so multiple devices are all synced up)

I'll post any updates when I get around to them but in the meantime if you have any suggestions or feedback let me know. 

The downside is the app can only run locally. So you still need the basic WeMo app to provision devices. Set them up in your home network and fire away. If someone from Belkin reads this, if you allow me access to the API I would gladly integrate it!

Comments
by tgordo49
on ‎12-09-2014 11:49 AM

How about they write a version of the app that does NOT ask for full nosey-mode access to all kinds of private areas and information all throughout my phone, when it has no need of all my private files/contacts/calendar/etc.?

by wemoway
on ‎12-10-2014 12:04 PM
Here are the latest permissions...

Version 1.0.6 can access:

Photos/Media/Files
  • modify or delete the contents of your USB storage
  • test access to protected storage

We are caching images and connection information locally. It just speeds things up. 

Wi-Fi connection information
  • view Wi-Fi connections

We have to identify if you connect/disconnect to a wifi. WeMo connections are specific to a wifi network

Other
  • full network access
  • view network connections
  • connect and disconnect from Wi-Fi
  • prevent device from sleeping
  • run at startup

All needed to manage the app. The network access is used by Belkin to store info on their servers, I don't have any control over that. In addition I track crash logs on the device. 

These are the latest permissions all the others have been removed. It doesn't access any of your personal information. 

John

by WEMO Maker Inventor
‎12-10-2014 02:41 PM - edited ‎12-10-2014 02:46 PM

OMG!  Sorry, it isn't for wemoway's app, it's Belkin's app that does all this - my apologies, misread the title...  moving the content to the other discussion.