WEMO Ideas

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

WeMo Security Password

by wemo_chris on ‎03-25-2015 05:01 PM

Hi, I know I am not the first person by far to want this feature but why has it still not became a thing on WeMo devices? I have a new WeMo insight and so far things have been a case or learning how to use it and set it up in different places but to my shock the thing doesn't have a password!! I have many people in my family using my wifi network including extended family so it appears anyone of them can just download the app open it up and bingo there is my plug (or plugs in the future) and just turn them on or off along with set rules... You name it and anyone on the wifi network can do it just the same as the person who set it up!!

Is this not the most stupid thing!! I really wanted to start turning everything WeMo in my home to be able to turn things on and of when I want from where I want but now it just seems like there is a huge hole in the system that is going to either make me not use WeMo or just give up on the idea all together.

Is there any idea when such a feature will finally be brought to the WeMo devices or are you going to leave these devices open to abuse.

Comments
by moosedude
on ‎03-26-2015 05:50 AM

I'm going to piggy back on this post.  Another aspect of the password or a login/password is remote sign in on devices that was never at the location.   For example, I have been assisting family members with minor home automation at their vacation home.  Specifcally I would love to instal a wemo light switch so as to allow them remote access (and viewing with the cameras I installed) to switch the perimeter lights on and off. I also would like to allow the local usage of the physical switch when someone is at the cabin (this feature is why I wanted the wemo light switch over connected LED bulbs that involve only running an app, so that people who are not familiar with the system can just use the switch).  As of now if I were to install the switch, the owner who lives several hours away would not be able to use the remote function till they are at the location.  And on top of that, if their device was to be replaced at a later time, they would have to return to the location to gain remote access.

A login/password feature would help solve these issue.

by WEMO Maker Inventor
on ‎03-26-2015 07:59 AM

I have to agree, user/password control would make more sense.  I can also empathize with the problems of associating user accounts with wemo devices in the cloud though - they're already having trouble with some users seeing other peoples wemos in their app.  Plus the problems of someone "taking over" your wemos by switching them to their own account.  Guests would be able to do it easily while they were visiting by resetting the wemo (or if not, then belkin would need to manual help people to move their devices to new accounts).  Not good in a commercial situation.

Another option would be to completely deny the wemo's access to the cloud, or at least do not enable remote control (though your guests still could).  You could lock the wemos down on a separate wifi network to prevent that, or many routers will let you setup guest access to prevent them from getting at your wemos or other sensitive parts of your network.

If it helps, my app, WemoManager (on google play), can be used to enable remote access without going through Belkin's cloud server, and each handset needs to be specifically authorized to access the wemos remotely.

by wemo_chris
on ‎03-27-2015 08:57 AM

I'm very glad others are with me on this feature and let's just hope the WeMo guys get it sorted in a new firmware update ASAP as I had read this has been wanted for about 2 years so obviously there is no rush by them so far but the more of us who push for it maybe just maybe we will get this added. It's a great shame such features didn't come as standard as security should be a high priority.

by sebdoan
on ‎05-22-2016 04:39 PM

I use a Wemo Maker to control my Garage Door and the Gate to my driveway. Not having a password to secure this functionality does seriously compromise the the physical security of my house. WEMO please add this