WEMO Ideas

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
0 Kudos

Wemo "button"

by SkylarDryden on ‎01-01-2018 12:32 PM

I think that Belkin should create a wemo "button". I use my mini smart plugs to control many lamps throughout my house and sometimes it would be just faster to push a physical button rather than to open my phone and wait for the wemo application to load and remotely toggle it. 

Comments
by WayneH
on ‎01-01-2018 07:56 PM

Hmm, my mini smart plug has a physical button that also lights up when the device is on.

by WEMO Maker Inventor
on ‎01-03-2018 01:50 PM

Putting aside that the belkin wemo line appears to be stagnant and they don't seem to be taking requests... what do you think they'd charge for such a thing?  Most are charnging $30 to $130 for stand alone switches.

Grab a low end PayGo android phone from bestbuy for $30 (no need to activate it).  Install WemoHome (or an add supported competitor) or go all out and install AutomationManager.  Put one or more "toggle" widgets on the home screen.  Bingo, a configurable, upgradeable, rechargeable "physical" switch.  Scatter them around your home for easy access.  Doesn't matter if you're an apple user, they work independently.

I use one mounted my kitchen counter wall (with doublesided tape) for individual control of what would otherwise be 4 cabinet lights working from a single switch.  Another tablet is a central console for date, time, weather, headlines, security system status, wifi cameras, and all automatic lights in the house.

No need to further lock oneself into a proprietary hardware solution.

by azjerry
on ‎01-03-2018 02:20 PM

+1 on Mike's suggestion.

by SkylarDryden
on ‎02-02-2018 03:24 PM

bump

by official_kaos
‎02-09-2018 04:15 PM - edited ‎02-09-2018 04:16 PM

use logitech pop buttons ... they work perfectly with wemo smart plugs https://www.amazon.co.uk/Logitech-Add-Home-Switch-Starter/dp/B01M1IIHLF/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=15182... you need there bridge but if you have other smart devices they work with multiple brands like sonos, philips hue, harmony, august smart locks and more. very easy to setup

by WEMO Maker Inventor
on ‎02-19-2018 08:14 AM

Bestbuy has prepaid android ZTE phones on sale today starting at $19.  One of my test servers is the ZTE Maven on for $30.  Anything with 1G RAM makes an excellent AutomationManager server for automation and remote access One or more AM widgets on the home screen turns it into an excellent wemo smart button.  Even if you're an iphone user, they won't interefere with each other.

No need for another bridge like the pop switch, and it comes with rechargeable battery and a customizable screen also unlike the pop switch.

by official_kaos
on ‎02-19-2018 08:59 AM
MikeP what are you saying to have loads of mobile phones stuck on walls around his house??
by WEMO Maker Inventor
on ‎02-19-2018 09:35 AM

Yeah, sounds a bit crazy...  During development I run 3 or 4 at a time on my desk plus others in the emulators, it does look strange Smiley Happy

Around the house for "real" (uncrazy?) people to use I have that central tablet and the kitchen phone with 4 widgets.  In the bedroom old phones are primarily alarm clocks but also can control automation like the tablet.  Those are dimmed with a clock screen saver and will also respond to "ok google".  Plus an echo upstairs and a google home downstairs for voice (I needed those for testing).  Those are handy for everyone.

Probably no crazier than those buttons stuck everywhere (at $30 a pop plus a $70 hub - the price of 5 phones) that don't do much else...  And it's certainly crazier to fumble with a phone, open the belkin app, wait for it to connect, then turn on a light (if it works at all).  Or scream back at the echo because "that light is not responding" (it always works with the echo going through AutomationManager).

I heard once "Why would I wear a watch when it's a single purpose device?".  Those dedicated switches strike me the same way now that there's $20 phones easily upgraded or repurposed Smiley Wink.  Vendors are already selling smart screens inside wall switches - still very expensive and locked in...  A small phone would sit nicely inside a decora style plate in a switch box with a custom power supply - no wires.

by official_kaos
‎02-19-2018 01:16 PM - edited ‎02-19-2018 04:27 PM

He just wants a physical switch, no alarm clock or anything else....And you say place inside of a plate with custom wire supply? He can mount the pop buttons anywhere, discretly or not.

You also say they dont do much else, as i quoted they work with mutiple brands , the app takes seconds to scan your network, you have 3 click options

For example

1 click wemo plug on/off or on or off

2 clicks 5 philips hue bulbs, 2 wemo plugs on/off or on or off

3 clicks sonosZP play/pause (you can play a radio station of your choice or one of your playlists etc..) 

1 bridge pluged directly to a power source then just place buttons wherever you want a switch (3way)! And reprogrammable in seconds. No mess No cables NO electrician.

The whole setup can be done in less than 5 minutes and the app allows you to remote access the pop button which has other benefits like controling devices which don't normally allow remote access like sonos for example.

by WEMO Maker Inventor
on ‎02-19-2018 02:14 PM

Sorry, I hope I didn't offend, just offering a cost effective alternative to dedicated, vendor specific, cloud attached buttons. 

Dedicated switches "don't do much", I meant when compared to using a smart phone or an echo or even an echo show.  Those logitech buttons may have a place but they're clearly rather expensive and somewhat limited. You're stuck with vendor lock-in - only the devices/functions they pick to support, and only for as long as they consider the switch profitable.  Seems like a dead end path to me but YMMV.  Belkin has already dropped the wemo baby, wemo maker, and wemo link, leaving us holding the bag.  I sure as heck wouldn't take a chance on them if they produced a switch (the OP's idea).  Which Belkin could easily do if they had kept the link - osram has one for their version of the wemo link (same shortcomings as logitech's) - but belkin has already already decided it's not profitable.

I personally am strongly against all of that but of course to each their own as you say.

"place inside of a plate with custom wire supply" is an option if you really wanted the phone to look like a light switch for some reason.

But mounted in a charger and left on an end table a is a better choice IMO.  No fuss, no electrician, cables can be hidden, setup takes seconds, upgrade or reprogramming is very easy, and it does so much more.  Install "google now" and they work just like a google home so you're good to go with voice too - a visit to a physical switch is not even necessary.

For other ideas it's possible to reprogram an amazon dash button.  I publish instructions to build a flexible battery powered custom button too.  Either for around $5, they work over wifi so no hub nor cloud nor vendor lock in.  If you don't like my app there are other choices too.