WEMO Ideas

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
0 Kudos

Wemo unavailable

by Lady on ‎03-26-2019 08:18 PM

this is getting annoying. Wemo is working from my iphone but when asking google to turn off a lamp, it tells my wemo is unavailable. I have the most up to date software.

I had this problem and reset the whole thing a few days ago, it was working fine. Now we are back to this

Comments
by memjr
on ‎03-26-2019 08:26 PM
They're down again.

I just got rid of my Wemo devices as I can't use them.

I'm on the market for a reliable vendor.

Does anyone have any good recommendation?
by Klarth
on ‎03-26-2019 08:37 PM
Yep.. second time in a week. This stuff is trash. I've got six of these switches and as soon as possible I'm moving them over to TP Link, which I also have several of and never have these sorts of problems.
by WEMO Maker Inventor
on ‎03-27-2019 06:29 AM

I'm a bit wary of TP-Link lately as they appear to be moving to cloud only devices just like the other China manufacturers.  They've just removed the the abillty to turn off remote access from the Kasa app which does seem to suggest they're forcing a dependency on it.  They also have hard coded the DNS and NPT servers in their firmware which IMO is worrisome from a privacy perspective and troublesome with some routers/isps.

FWIW AutomationManager supports Wemo and TP Link (and a few others) in the same app, so as long as TP Link doesn't do a firmware update to shut off local API access completely you can use it and block the tplink and wemo devices from the internet.

by memjr
on ‎03-27-2019 10:55 AM

I decided to use Sonoff's, they're $6.00/piece and they have no dependency on Wemo's cloud service (or any other for that matter), work with Alexa/Google right out of the box and also with all major home automation systems out there, including OpenHAB with is highly costumizable and free.

Good luck to all of you who stay with Wemo.

by WEMO Maker Inventor
on ‎03-27-2019 12:10 PM

Be careful with sonoff's, they're not approved for use by any certification other than CE (which is somewhat meaningless in this context). A lot of the cheaper imports lack any certification.  It's safer to use them as switchable sockets and in extension and power cords where you can see them - don't put them in a wall!  If they were to cause a fire you might have trouble with your home insurance and there's no manufacture available to sue...

A very good thing about sonoffs is they can be flashed with custom firmware - 'cause you probably shouldn't use the stock out of the box firmware with your personal google/amazon accounts...

OpenHAB is good if you're ok with community source and don't mind running on a pi instead of a low end android device that already has battery backup and a touch screen.  SmartThing's is another choice if you're ok trading one cloud for another and don't mind a custom hub - it does seem quite reliable.

AM also supports sonoff and similar devices flashed with AM/MPP firmware (open but not community source so only one throat to choke! And a much lower chance of a contributor sneaking in malware) as well as the ESPurna firmware.

by memjr
on ‎03-27-2019 06:14 PM
No, I am not putting those in walls. They'll be used only for anything that will be plugged to a wall socket. And while I could splice the cables to get those setup, I'll be taking just short extension cords and splice those. That way they're portable like the Wemos I got rid of and another plus of it is that they won't be big bulky things stuck on the outlets like the Wemos were (especially a pain for places where the wall socket was behind a piece of furniture like the couch where having the cable plugged to the Wemo and the Wemo on the wall meant the furniture had to be placed farther away from the wall).

The other nice thing, for me, about those, is as you said, flash a custom firmware. HUGE plus for me.

I have not played with SmartThings yet. I'll have to give it a go whenever I get a few hours of play time.
by bianco
on ‎03-28-2019 07:34 AM

this keep happing since my last firm up date. intermitly i see them then gone on my app.

help.

by bianco
on ‎03-28-2019 07:36 AM

so mikep how do we fix the proplem?

by WEMO Maker Inventor
on ‎03-28-2019 08:07 AM

If you're wemos are staying connected to your router (they're not flashing amber) then the problem is the belkin app and/or the belkin cloud.  There's a few ways already mentioned above, basically you stop using the belkin app and cloud and instead set up your own local server.  Sounds a bit complicated but it really isn't and it is more appropriate since this is supposed to be home automation after all - going offsite doesn't make sense (and IMO is an invasion of privacy and a security risk).  My app, AutomationManager is one way, you run it on a low end dedicated android device you can get for about $20-$30.  Once you've eliminated those other dependencies you should find the wemos rock solid.

by memjr
on ‎03-28-2019 08:14 AM

You know what the sad part of this whole thing is?  That a person completely unrelated to Wemo (MikeP) has an entire indedependent system running with Wemo's own deivces that works better than their own!