WEMO Ideas

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Why there needs to be a WeMo Web Interface

by mbrandon on ‎07-25-2014 06:47 PM

I believe there are multiple reasons that Belkin should provide a web interface for managing an indivisulas WeMo network. Here are some of the reasons I would like it, I am sure others have some good reasons also.

1)Cell phones become obsolete too quickly to be used as the only manager for a product that should be expected to be in use for many years.

2)I use my WeMo device in remote locations, some are hours away but accessable remotely. If I lose/break/upgrade my phone, it is unrealsitic to have to travel to all of my remote sites to get my network back on my phone. A web interface would not only allow for me to continue to control the network, but could possibly allow for me to push my network to the Belkin App on my new phone.

3)Phone operating systems update so frequently, requiring frequent application updates, which can only lead to issues for us users.

4)Belkin should have no issues with constructing a web interface considering they have been in the networking game for years.

Comments
by pinkyzeny
on ‎07-25-2014 11:04 PM

Accessing WeMo via browser is also a nice idea, but I do believe it is not designed that way. You need to use the WeMo App to control your devices remotely. Let's just wait for further updates. :-)

by daviddshoop
on ‎07-31-2014 12:55 AM

I use 2 WeMo Insights to control a whole house fan.  The outlet's and switches are up in the attic.  This is great as long as the switches remain wifi connectivity, I can find my phone and the batter is not dead after turning one or both on.  A web interface would help in the case that I can't fnd my phone (yes the kids constantly hijack it) or the battery dies after I turn it on.  I support the idea.

by WEMO Maker Inventor
on ‎07-31-2014 05:35 AM

If you have a PC with local access to your network you can run my application to control those wemo's: https://sites.google.com/site/mppsuite/downloads/wemoserver-java

by WEMO Maker Inventor
on ‎08-14-2014 11:07 AM

you could use IFTTT to create an artificial interface with triggers that you can trip from the web.

by WEMO Maker Inventor
on ‎08-25-2014 02:00 PM

I have also desired a web interface for my Wemo's. Sunatnnedmonk's idea could be implemented with a simple IFTTT channel like YO. 

YO my switch on!

by WEMO Maker Inventor
on ‎08-25-2014 05:29 PM

YO.     *click*

by lgayowsky
on ‎11-02-2014 12:58 PM

I stongly support this as well.

1. The remote access issue is key.  I have two properties several hundred kilometers apart.  Right now I need two devices, one to control each property remotely, which is ridiculous.  If one device breaks or gets lost, I lose any ability to control one location.

2. We need more management abilities, for instance to remove old "authorized remote devices" from the list. 

I had to do a factory reset on my phone.  When I reinstalled the wemo app and set it up for remote access, it figured I was accessing the network from a difference device and now my phone shows up twice. One is legit, the other is just old history hanging around and there is no way to remove it. 

Also, I have a couple older devices that have since broken or been replaced.  However, there is no way to remove these from the list of "authorized devices" since I do not physically possess the devices anymore.  So there is no way to "Forget and Disable" the device. This could be done from a web app.

3. If a web app is not in the cards, then at least give us the ability to control more than one location from a device. It should not be difficult. I have that ability with my three year old 3m Filtrete WFI thermostat. I can control mulitiple remote locations from a single device.  They also have a web app.  This is not rocket science.

We should have to look for a workaround.  This should be basic functionality.

by tgordo49
on ‎12-09-2014 01:24 PM

Not to mention how intrusive the app has gotten, wanting permissions to access ALL kinds of personal data on my phone that it has no business using.

by joelw135
on ‎12-22-2014 07:57 AM

I would love to have a Mac interface other than my iPhone as I am at my desk very often and the OSX app would be more convienent.

by michaelbusby
on ‎02-01-2015 10:46 AM
I would like to program my utility companies rate for the $/kWh.